This slow cooker chicken ratatouille stew is a healthy and hearty dish that you can make in minutes. Server over rice or eat as is. The is a low calorie and fairly low carb dinner you can easy make any night of the week.
You might also like this slow cooker creamy chicken and spinach recipe!
This week for Sunday Supper we are making Easy Supper Recipes so I thought this slow cooker chicken ratatouille stew would be a good one to make. Everyone likes slow cooker meals for busy week days and this chicken vegetable stew is easy, hearty and even low calorie!
I love ratatouille because of it’s tasty combination of tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and zucchini. However I consider it a side dish. Today I wanted to make it a bit more substantial for a main dish instead so I added some chicken thighs and cooked it in a slow cooker. It was so easy and tasty that I’m sure we will be eating this again and again.
What is ratatouille?
Most people know about the movie Ratatouille involving a rat that is a culinary genius but not everyone has had the dish. Ratatouille is a French stewed vegetable dish. It has been made many different ways but it usually uses tomato, onions, zucchini, peppers and eggplant.
I used those same basic ingredients but added some chicken thighs to make this slow cooker more of a dinner than a side dish. It came out perfect and was really easy to make.
Making slow cooker chicken ratatouille
You really can throw everything in the slow cooker and be done but I did like the order I put everything in. I poured a little olive oil on the bottom with the onions and half of the tomatoes. Then I put in the vegetable and topped them with the chicken thighs.
Next take the remaining tomatoes and mixed in the tomato paste, Better than Bouillon base, garlic and spices. Spoon this over top and cook on low for 8 hours. Times may vary depending on your slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Ratatouille Recipe Notes
- I used chicken thighs but you could also use breasts if you wish.
- I also used boneless, skinless chicken so I could shred it at the end. If you want you can keep the chicken as is and serve it separately from the ratatouille.
- Better than Bouillon gives this an added flavor boost. You can substitute chicken bouillon if you don’t have BTB.
- At the end I shred the chicken a little bit and mix well. If it’s still too watery for you liking, you can take the lid off the slow cooker and turn up the heat for 10 minutes.
- You can eat this dish as is or over rice or even pasta. I like to great Parmesan cheese over top sometimes.
I hope you like this easy supper recipe and for more great recipes, scroll down for my friend’s from Sunday Supper. The nutritional information for 1 serving is:
131 cals / 8g fat / 10g carbs / 2.7g fiber /18g protein = 7.3g net carbs
PLEASE NOTE: I have updated this recipe to make it a bit lower in carbs and it ended up a bit more tasty! The video is older and you might notice a few differences. The changes I made were to use less onions and tomatoes and add tomato paste, bouillon and a little more spice.
Slow Cooker Chicken Ratatouille Stew
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sweet pepper, sliced
- 2 cups eggplant chopped
- 2 cups zucchini chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 3/4 cup diced tomaotes
- 2 tablespoons tomator paste
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Pour oil into the slow cooker and then add onions and 1/2 of the tomatoes.
Next put in your vegetables and nestle the chicken thighs on top.
Add your garlic, spices, Better than Bouillon, tomatoe paste and tomatoes together and mix well.
Pour the tomatoe mixture over the chicken and place the lid on top.
Cook on low for 8 hours. (times may vary depending on your slow cooker)
When done, shred the chicken a bit with two forks. If you want to get rid of some of the liquid you can turnn it up to high and keep the lid off for about 10 minutes.
Serve over rice or eat as is.
- Chicken Enchiladas by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Chicken Scarpariello by Sunday Supper Movement
- Honey Mustard Chicken & Rice Pilaf by Wholistic Woman
- Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts and Vegetables by Simple and Savory
- Pineapple Chicken Stir-Fry by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Roast Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Bucatini with Spinach Pesto by The Chef Next Door
- Chicken Marsala Lasagna Rollups by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Extra Cheesy Stuffed Shells by Positively Stacey
- Quick Chicken Piccata by The Redhead Baker
- Apple Mustard Pork Tenderloin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Oven Omelette With Ham by Cricket’s Confections
- Cranberry Orange Pork Roast by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Sweet and Garlicky Slow Cooker Pulled Pork by Family Foodie
Sheet Pan Suppers
- Dijon Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner by Casa de Crews
- Ranch Sheet Pan Pork Dinner by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs Provencal Style by Delaware Girl Eats
Soup and Sandwich Suppers
- Chicken and Cheese Pita Sandwiches by Pies and Plots
- Chicken Chili by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Marinara Panini by The Freshman Cook
Stove Top Suppers
- Arroz con Coco y Lentejas – Coconut Rice with Lentils by Food Lust People Love
- Asian Tuna Noodle Bowls by Cooking Chat
- Haluski (Cabbage and Noodles) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Healthy Quinoa Japanese Donburi Bowl by NinjaBaker.com
- One Pot Braised Lamb Shoulder Chops and Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Slow Cooker Chicken Ratatouille Stew by My Life Cookbook