This slow cooker creamy tomato chicken & spinach dish is full of flavor and easy for a weeknight dinner. The rich and creamy sauce is perfect with the fresh spinach and chicken and only 3.3g net carbs!
Well it’s back to school time and I keep picturing that old commercial where the mom and dad are pushing a cart around buying school supplies and singing “it’s the most wonderful time of the year”. That always made me laugh though I really enjoyed having my son home this summer. Anyway today we are celebrating back to school dinners at Sunday Supper and I’ve been craving this slow cooker creamy tomato chicken & spinach dish. It’s rich and creamy and packed with spinach. You can eat it over pasta, zucchini noodles or just as it is. Make sure you make a lot because it goes fast!
Recently I made a 3 ingredient cheesy spinach in the slow cooker and it was a big hit. And I wanted to make something with tomatoes since we have so many from the garden. So my intent was to combine both ideas for this dish. In the first batch I used chicken thighs and grape tomatoes. Epic fail. It looked like cat food and had little taste. Back to the drawing board and I used sun dried tomatoes, chicken breasts and doubled the spinach. This was the jackpot and my hubby raved about it!
As you can see above I ate mine over zucchini noodles. Using this handy dandy kitchen tool I quickly made noodles out of our zucchini from the garden. This is the perfect dish for veggie noodles by the way. There is so much taste in the sauce and that goes great with firm veggie noodles. Of course my hubby and son ate the pasta. By the way, it also tastes great on it’s own without a side.
Just a few tips to help you with this recipe. I made this on high in my slow cooker because I wanted to take pictures before dinner. It took 4 hours. One half hour before it was done I took out the chicken (it was fully cooked and very tender). I then added the cream cheese and Asiago cheese and let it cook for 15 minutes. Then I took off the lid and whisked it until it was rich and creamy. Lastly I added the chopped spinach, mixed it with the sauce and cooked it for 10 minutes to let it shrink up. I placed the chicken on a platter and covered it with the spinach and sauce when we were ready to eat.
slow cooker creamy tomato chicken
I hope you like this rich and creamy chicken dish. My family really enjoyed it so it will become a staple in our house because it’s so easy. For more great back to school dinners, scroll down and see what my Sunday Supper friends have for you. Thanks for hosting Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. The nutritional information for 1 serving without any kind of noodles is:
353 cals / 18.9g fat / 4.7g carbs / 1.4g fiber / 41.4g protein / 3.3g net carb
Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Chicken & Spinach
- 2 lbs chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 1/2 cup sundries tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spices
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 4 oz cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese shredded
- 8 oz raw baby spinach chopped
Place the tomatoes, broth, garlic and spices in the slow cooker and mix well. Then place the chicken breasts on top and cook either on high or low heat.
About a half hour before it's finished, take out the chicken and add the cream cheese and shredded cheese.
Cover and cook for 15 minutes more then take off the lid and whisk until smooth and creamy.
Add in the spinach and cover and cook for 10 more minutes then mix well so spinach is wilted and combined with the sauce.
Place chick on a platter and pour the sauce over top.
Serve over rice, pasta or for a low carb option use zucchini noodles.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
more delicious slow cooker dinners to try!
Back to School Dinners
Beef and Pork
- Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats by The Crumby Kitchen
- Beef and Sweet Potato Stew by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Meatloaf Meatballs by Palatable Pastime
- Mexican Lasagna with Corn Tortillas by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Dish Taco Goulash by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pierogi with Sausage and Peppers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pot Roast with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Red Wine by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Pastas, Soups, Rice and Stews
- Casimer Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Dad’s Glop by My Blissful Mess
- Homemade Lasagna by Soulfully Made
- Kid-friendly Salmon Curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Salmon with Pappardelle and a Brandy Cream Sauce by Mysavoryspoon
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup by Books n’ Cooks
- Chicken Enchiladas by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Parmesan by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken with Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce & Roasted Asparagus by Gourmet Everyday
- Chicken with Sautéed Zucchini Peppers and Mushrooms by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornflake Chicken Tenders by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Easy Instapot Roast Chicken by Our Good Life
- Easy Ranch Chicken Pasta with Bacon by Cricket’s Confections
- Perfect Scrambled Eggs by Pies and Plots
- Roasted Chicken Breasts by Life Tastes Good
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Chicken & Spinach by My Life Cookbook
- Whole30 Mini Turkey Meatloaf by Bites of Wellness
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.