These low carb chocolate covered pecans are filled with sugar free peanut butter filling to make a crunchy delicious keto candy! It’s similar to peanut butter filled chocolate covered pretzels and easy to make. Each low carb pecan candy has only 0.5g net carbs!
You might also like this low carb chocolate pecan toffee candy
Last week I made low carb chocolate peanut butter cups and since them I’m on a keto candy kick. I was thinking of how pecans are a good sub for pretzels and came up with this low carb chocolate covered pecan candy with peanut butter filling.
It’s like a cross between peanut butter filled pretzels and chocolate covered pretzels but with pecans and it’s low carb! I love this tasty keto candy combination and everyone has been munching on them. Each piece has only 0.5g net carbs!
My Favorite Keto Nuts
We love nuts in my family to either grab as a snack or to eat in salads or savory recipes. Nuts are a good source of plant based proteins and healthy fats and they are low carb! Pecans are the best low carb nut in my opinion but here is how they stack up. Learn more in this post on 9 low carb nuts.
- pecans – 1 oz has 1g net carbs – great substitute for pretzels
- almonds – 1 oz has 3g net carbs – flour is very good for baking
- walnuts – 1 oz has 2g net carbs – good for cookies or cookie dough
- macadamia nuts – 1 oz has 2g net carbs – tasty to eat as is
- cashews – 1 oz has 7.7g net carbs – great in stir fries
- Brazil nuts – 1 oz has 1g net carbs – really good source of selenium
- hazelnuts – 1 oz has 2g net carbs – distinct flavor (Nutella anyone?)
Ingredients For Chocolate Covered Pecans
For this pecan candy I used raw whole pecans, Simply Nature natural peanut butter, cacao butter, baking chocolate and Swerve powdered sweetener. I used these specific products because they are low in carbs.
Bakers chocolate has 1g net carbs for 2 squares, the pecans have 1g net carb for 1/4 cup, the cacao butter and Swerve have no carbs and the peanut butter has 2g net carbs per tablespoon. So you can see how they would make a great keto candy right?
You can use other brands, just check the nutritional information first, especially with the peanut butter and baking chocolate.
How To Roast Pecans
For this recipe you want to use raw whole pecans and you want to dry roast them in the oven. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 – 15 minutes in a 350°F oven. They should brown a little and be fragrant. Let them cool completely before conintuing to the next step.
You can also toast in a dry skillet. Over medium heat add the raw nuts to a dry saute pan and toast for 5 -10 minutes but keep stirring so they don’t burn.
When the nuts are hot they are more chewy than crunchy but as they cool completely they will be more brittle and have that pretzel like crunch.
The Low Carb Peanut Butter Filling
The peanut butter filling is just a plain, no-sguar added peanut butter and powdered Swerve sweetener. Mix them together and place in the refrigerator. The mixture will solidify and be easier to use to fill the nuts.
Pecan Low Carb Candy Recipe
The essence of this candy recipe is to add a bit of the peanut butter mixture between two whole pecans. So it’s like a peanut butter pecan sandwich. You freeze these for a bit so they harden and therefore make it easier to cover in chocolate. Here are the steps.
- Mix the peanut butter and Swerve sweetener together and then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Toast the raw pecans in the oven and let cool.
- When pecans are completely cooled, take a bit of the peanut butter and place between two pecans to make the peanut butter pecan sandwich.
- Place the peanut butter filled pecans on a plate and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the cacao butter, bakers chocolate and Swerve in a small pan on the stove. When just about completely melted take off the stove and pour into a small bowl or ramekin.
- Take the frozen pecans and with a spoon dip into the chocolate and get it completely covered. The place on a plate or something that can go back into the freezer.
- Do this to all the pecan sandwiches and freeze for 1 hour.
- Store in the freezer or refrigerator.
Where To Store This Keto Candy
Just place them in a baggie or sealed container and store them in the refrigerator or freezer. I keep them in the freezer because the chocolate will melt in your hands but the freezing does not make the nuts too hard to bite through. However you might like them better if you store in the refrigerator. You can even keep them on the counter in a sealed jar as long as your kitchen is not too hot.
Other Low Carb Pecan Recipes To Try
If like me you buy a huge bag of raw pecans, do not fear as I have a lot of low carb pecan recipes on this site. Pecans are great in salads, in roasted flavored nut mixtures, as crusts for cheesecakes and desserts and awesome in chocolate candy. Here are just a few pecan recipes to check out.
- strawberry pretzel-less dessert – uses pecans for the pretzel layer
- chocolate toffee candy – pecans mimic the cracker layer
- maple bacon roasted nuts
- pumpkin no bake cheesecake – for the crust
- maple bacon no bake cheesecake – for the crust
- honey mustard roasted pecans – similar to honey mustard pretzels
- caramel butter pecan ice cream
Above you can see how they look after you take a bite. You can add more peanut butter or chocolate. Because nuts by nature are very filling, you won’t want to eat to many these. They are perfect to munch on a couple if you want a sweet after dinner. The nutritional information for 1 piece of pecan candy is:
65 cals / 6.4g fat / 1g carbs / 0.5g fiber / 0.8g protein = 0.5g net carbs
Low Carb Chocolate Covered Pecans with Sugar Free Peanut Butter Filling
These low carb chocolate covered pecans are filled with sugar free peanut butter filling to make a crunchy delicious keto candy! It's similar to a peanut butter filled chocolate covered pretzels and easy to make. Each low carb pecan candy has only 0.5g net carbs!
- 42 raw pecans, whole
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, no sugar added
- 2 tablespoons Swerve, powdered sweetener, divided
- 2 squares bakers unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup cacao butter
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread the raw pecans on a cookie sheet. Bake until fragrant for about 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool completely.
Mix the peanut butter with 1 tablespons of Swerve sweetener. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
When the nuts are completely cooled, take out the peanut butter mixture and spread a little peanut butter between two pecans to make a sandwich. Place on a plate and continute with all the pecans. Place the plate in the freezer for 15 minutes.
When the pecans are freezing, add the chcoolate, cacao butter and remaining Swerve sweetener in a small sauce pan. Mix as the ingredients melt. When the chocolate is just melted take off the stove and pour into a small bowl.
Take out the frozen pecan sandwiches and one by one dip into the choolate and then place on the plate again. Continue with all the pecans and then set into the freezer or refrigerator to harden.
Store either in the refrigerator or freezer.