If you are looking for a healthy and flavorful soup, try this low calorie keto cabbage soup. It’s spicy and delicious and will warm you on a cold day. Not only is this vegetable soup low calorie, it’s also low carb and vegetarian with just 46 calories and 5.1g net carbs per serving!
You might also like this low calorie spring vegetable shrimp soup!
I don’t know about you but there are times when I really want to reign in the amount of calories but I also want to eat something that tastes good. So I remembered that cabbage soup diet recipe of long ago and decided to make my own.
So today I present you my low calorie keto cabbage soup recipe. It’s full of flavor yet it’s low carb and low calorie with just 46 calories and 5.1g net carbs. So it’s perfect for anyone on a low calorie diet or a low carb diet.
It’s also very warming and a good healthy soup for cold days. It has a spicy broth and it’s full of veggies. You can easily freeze it for a low calorie, low carb snack or meal. I use it for meal planning healthy lunches.
Recipe ingredients I used.
I just used simple ingredients to make this low calorie soup. I used green cabbage, canned tomatoes, Better than Bouillon vegetable base, garlic, carrots, celery, dehydrated onion flakes, olive oil, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese.
To keep this recipe vegetarian I used a vegetable base with water to make a vegetable broth but you could also use chicken broth or beef broth. I personally LOVE the flavor I get from Better than Bouillon bases and use it in all my soup recipes.
Basically you could use vegetable, beef or chicken flavor of bouillon cubes, broth or stock as long as you have 6 cups of liquid in the end.
How to make this low calorie keto cabbage soup recipe.
While you could make this recipe in a pressure cooker or slow cooker, there is really no need because it only takes about 20 minutes to cook on the stove.
Step 1: Get out a soup pot and add the olive oil. Heat up the pot to medium high heat. Add the chopped celery and carrots and saute for a minute or two.
Step 2: Add all of the other ingredients except the parmesan cheese, garlic and cabbage) and mix well and turn the heat down to medium. Then add in the water (or broth or stock) and mix well again. Then add in the cabbage slices.
Step 3: Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes or until the cabbage is soft. Then add in the garlic and parmesan cheese.
Step 4: Let the soup cook for a couple of minutes more to incorporate the garlic and cheese flavors. Turn off the heat and let cool before serving. (Please scroll down to view and print the recipe card.)
How to freeze homemade cabbage soup.
Let the soup come to room temperature and pour into airtight containers. I bought plastic soup containers specifically for recipes like this. They are the perfect size for soup.
Place in the freezer and to defrost set in the refrigerator overnight or use the defrost function on your microwave.
I like to make a big batch of soup like this one and then freeze half of it in individual containers for a quick low calorie lunch.
To make this more of a unstuffed cabbage type of soup.
You can easily make this recipe into more of a unstuffed cabbage soup by adding ground meat and even cauliflower rice. Both options will add calories but it will still be low carb and it will make this soup more of a meal then a side dish.
To do this I would brown ground beef or ground turkey when you are cooking the celery and carrots. Then add the cauliflower rice at the end when you add the garlic. It will just need to cook for a few minutes.
Other low calorie soup recipes under 150 calories to try.
Below are some of my go to low calorie but tasty recipes for soup. However I have TONS of other healthy soup recipes on the blog so check them out as well.
- keto cream of mushroom (76 cals)
- roasted zucchini and tomato (130 cals)
- creamy curried carrot (104 cals)
- keto chicken pot pie (142 cals)
- keto Thai curry zucchini (117 cals)
So next time you are watching your calorie and or carb counts try this keto cabbage soup recipe. It really is quite tasty and flavorful and it’s full of healthy ingredients. My family really liked it and I hope you do too. Enjoy!
The nutritional information for 1 serving is 46 calories / 1.9g fat / 6.3g carbs / 1.2g fiber / 1.1g protein = 5.1g net carbs
- ½ cup carrots, small dice
- ½ cup celery, small dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 15oz can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups cabbage, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Vegetable Base*
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Get out a soup pot and add the olive oil. Heat up the pot to medium heat. Add the chopped celery and carrots and saute for a minute or two.
- Add all of the can of tomatoes, dehydrated onion, Italian seasoning, hot pepper flakes, water and Better than Bouilon and mix well. Note you can use 6 cups of broth or stock in stead of the water and bouillon
- Next add in the cabbage slices and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes or until the cabbage is soft. Then add in the garlic and parmesan cheese.
- Let the soup cook for a few minutes more to incorporate the garlic and cheese flavors. Turn off the heat and let cool before serving.
- To Freeze Soup: Let the soup come to room temperature and pour into airtight containers. Place in the freezer and to defrost set in the refrigerator overnight or use the defrost function on your microwave.
The nutrtional information for 1 serving is 46 calories / 1.9g fat / 6.3g carbs / 1.2g fiber / 1.1g protein = 5.1g net carbs
Basically you could use vegetable, beef or chicken flavor of bouillon, broth or stock as long as you have 6 cups of liquid in the end.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 46