If you are looking for a perfect summer dinner, try this keto stuffed chicken caprese recipe. It’s baked juicy chicken stuffed with fresh creamy mozzarella cheese and topped with chopped garden tomatoes. It’s a delicious dish that’s very easy to make! Top it off with chopped basil for more caprese flavor. Each serving has only 1.7g net carbs!
You might also like these keto bacon and cheese stuffed chicken breasts!
My herb garden is going crazy this year. I have so much fresh basil, mint, stevia, lemon thyme, tarragon and more so I try to find ways to use them whenever possible.
So the other day I had some fresh mozzarella and plum tomatoes on hand so I grabbed a handful of my basil and made this keto stuffed chicken caprese dish!
It’s a very simple recipe but but boy is it full of flavor! Especially when using fresh herbs and tomatoes from the garden. While I didn’t use any balsamic vinegar that many people use in a caprese salad, you could add that too! But I was happy with out it.
This is an easy and tasty weeknight dinner and sure to be a family favorite!
Recipe ingredients I used.
Below you can see the simple ingredients I used for the stuffed chicken recipe; fresh plum tomatoes, skinless chicken breasts, fresh basil leaves, garlic, fresh mozzarella cheese, olive oil, salt and black pepper.
I used plum tomatoes because they have less seeds and liquid but you could use regular, cherry or grape tomatoes as well. You could also sub regular mozzarella but the fresh adds much more flavor.
Also while you could add a little Italian seasoning I wanted the fresh sweet basil to shine through.
How to make stuffed chicken caprese.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a slit in the side of the skinless, boneless chicken breasts and use your fingers to stretch and the area and make a pocket for the cheese. Slice then place the mozzarella cheese slices in the pocket
- Season with salt and pepper and place in the baking dish.
- Next chop the tomatoes into small pieces and in a mixing bowl add the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well and the pour over the chicken.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 30-40 minutes. When it’s cooked through, take it out of the oven and sprinkle the chopped fresh basil over top. Note baking times may vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Store the leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Please scroll down to view and print the full recipe.
If you want to add balsamic vinegar.
You could also add a balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction over the tomatoes. I didn’t want to add more carbs and wanted to keep this recipe as simple as possible. However if you want to, here’s what to do.
A balsamic reduction is basically pouring some balsamic vinegar in a pan and let it simmer over medium heat for 17-20 minutes so that it will reduce in volume and have a more intense flavor.
A balsamic glaze has added sweetener. You would make like the balsamic reduction but add some sugar, honey or brown sugar as you reduce it. It will become thicker and syrupy. (learn more)
In either case if I wanted to make one these sauces and I would pour it over at the end before you sprinkle the fresh basil on top.
You could also brown the chicken in a skillet first to give it more color. I personally like simple and easy recipes and didn’t feel the need for these extra steps but if you prefer them, go for it!
This recipe made 4 servings from 2 stuffed chicken breasts. They were rather large in size and the cheese made it very filling so I feel that ½ of one is plenty.
What to serve with this.
If you don’t care about carbs this dish would go great with pasta or rice to make it a meal. You could even eat it as a sandwich with good crusty bread.
I hope you give this easy stuffed chicken recipe a try. It’s a tasty dish in summertime and my family loved it. Enjoy.
The nutritional information for 1 serving is 452 calories
21.2g fat / 2.5g carbs / 0.8g fiber / 58.2g protein = 1.7g net carbs
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes, chopped
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to season chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make a smal slit on the side of the chicken breast. Place your fingers inside and stretch to make a pocket for the cheese.
- Cut the cheese into slices. Divide the cheese evenly among the pieces of chicken you have. Then take a slice of mozzarella or two and stuff into the pocket. Season with salt and pepper and place in the baking dish.
- Next chop the tomatoes into small pieces and place into a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well then pour over the chicken.
- Place the bakign dish into the oven and cook for 40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. If using a meat thermometer the internal temperature should be 165°F. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- When done, take out of the oven and sprinkle the fresh basil on top. Let cool a little and then serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452