This Philly Mushroom Swiss Hot Dog is an easy and tasty way to dress up your dog. Onions, peppers, mushrooms and Swiss cheese make the perfect complement to a salty hot dog. And of course we have 2 low carb versions for you to try as well!
Did you know it’s National Hot Dog month? Well all of us at Sunday Supper know and today we are celebrating creative hot dog recipes. My contribution is this Philly Mushroom Swiss Hot Dog. It’s not very complicated but it is tasty. Loaded with sauteed onions, peppers and mushrooms and then topped with Swiss cheese. Even my father in law asked for seconds! And because I like to eat low carb foods, I also have 2 ways for you to eat this tasty dog without the bun.
This most work you have to do for this recipe is sauté the onions, peppers and mushrooms. It takes a good 10 minutes to get it nice and brown. I love this trio of ingredients together. It’s great on hot sausage and flatbreads or used in soups and pastas. I had a bit leftover and I’m going to use it in a omelette tomorrow.
The basics of this recipe is to saute the vegetables and place on top of your hot dog and bun. Next add the Swiss cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
Now for the low carb versions I have two for you. The first is the zucchini taco. Since a have tons of zucchini from the garden, I took my biggest one and sliced it very thin. I used this to get the slices thin and uniform. And then used it as I would a bun. I had to cut the hotdog in half because my slices were not big enough. I loved this one personally.
The other way was to take a hotdog, cut in half. Then take each half and slice lengthwise but not all the way through. Then flatten it out and cook or grill. That way you have a little square of hot dog. I did that for both halves and stacked them. This was tasty too but a little harder to eat. you definitely had to use a fork and knife.
A note on the hot dogs if you are counting carbs. I used Nathan’s original hot dogs and they had 1g net carb each. Many other brands had 3-5g so make sure you check the labels. Nathan’s hotdogs are my favorite anyway. The nutrition for my my zucchini version (2 zucchini slices with 1 hotdog) is:
259 cals / 8.1g net carbs / 7.3g carbs / 1.5g fiber / 10.6g protein = 5.8g net carbs
Philly Mushroom Swiss Hot Dog
Well I hope you like my Philly Mushroom Swiss Hot Dog as well as the low carb versions. There are so many great recipes from my friends at Sunday Supper. Please scroll down and check them out. And thank you both Stacy from Food Lust People Love and Mary Ellen from Recipes Food and Cooking for hosting! Enjoy!
- 8 hotdogs
- 8 buns
- 4 cups of vegetables (onions, bell peppers, mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ¼ large zucchini thinly sliced
- In a large skillet heat up your oil and then add your vegetables.
- Saute until well cooked and starting to brown.
- In another skillet or on the grill, cook your hot dogs.
- Assemble you hot dog by adding the bun, topping with vegetables and then 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Heat under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is melted.
- For Low Carb Versions
- Thinly slice a large zucchini.
- Cut hot dogs in a half and place in the zucchini like a taco. Top with vegetables and cheese and stick under the broiler until cheese is melted.
- For the stack, cut the hotdog in half lengthwise. Then take each half and cut down the middle lengthwise but do not cut through. Spread sides so it's flat and cook or grill.
- Take two hotdog pieces and stack on each other. Top with vegetables and cheese and stick under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
Sunday Supper Creative Hot Dog Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Fruit Salsa by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Honey BBQ Hot Dogs by Home Sweet Homestead
- Hot Dog & Hamburger Cowboy Beans by Soulfully Made
- All American Hot Dog by The Freshman Cook
- Banh Mi Hot Dog by Cricket’s Confections
- Buffalo Hot Dogs by The Crumby Kitchen
- Copy Cat Detroit Coney Dogs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Matcha Ochazuke Hot Dog Rice by NinjaBaker.com
- Memphis Hot Dog by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Philly Mushroom Swiss Dog (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Sauerkraut Stuffed Dogs by Gourmet Everyday
- South of the Border Hot Dogs by My Blissful Mess
Tex Mex Dogs
- Chili Cheese Dog Baked Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Burrito Dogs by Our Good Life
- Hot Dog with Chili Sauce by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Taco Hot Dog is Nacho Regular Dog by Sunday Supper Movement
- Hot Dog Breakfast Tacos by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.