Try making Lo Mein using vegetable noodles for a deliciously healthy dinner. Only takes 20 minutes to make this vegetarian dinner!
I was craving lo mein the other day but I don’t always like to get take out. While delicious, sometimes the wheat, salt, oil and sugar get to me so I wanted to make a healthier version and came up with this lo mein using vegetable noodles! It is all vegetables friends. Where this differs from take out is that it don’t have noodles (obviously) and it’s not as salty or oily. However I loved it and it totally satisfied my craving and made me feel good about eating it!
I used my spiralizer to make the noodles and have 2 machines and one hand tool because I just love them! I started off using this machine but the noodles were too thick so I used this one instead. It makes a nice angel hair type noodle. I use this hand tool to cut the carrots. See dear hubby I do need all these kitchen gadgets!
So to make this dish in 20 minutes, you saute your veggies in a large saute pan for a few minutes. Then add in your veggie noodles (I used turnip and zucchini) and pour the sauce over top. Mix and cook for just a few more minutes. I would have used all turnip noodles but I ran short and that’s why I used the zucchini. The turnips are much more substantial. I like turnip noodles roasted to like these garlic rosemary turnip noodles.
Lo Mein using Vegetable Noodles
I’m not going to lie to you. Neither my hubby nor son would eat this. My hubby hates zucchini and turnips and well this is just too many vegetables for my son to handle. He barely eats regular lo mein. However when I can win those two over, you will be the first to know! If you are a veggie lover like me, you are going to love this dish. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cups of vegetables, chopped (I used peppers, carrots, snow peas and mushrooms)
- 2 turnips, made into noodles
- ½ zucchini, made into noodles
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon chile pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green onions, optional as garnish
- In a large saute pan, heat your oil and then all the vegetables except the zucchini and turnip noodles.
- Saute for a few minutes until the vegetables cook and soften, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the broth, soy sauce, garlic, chile pepper flakes and ginger in a small bowl.
- Add in the veggie noodles and mix well.
- Pour sauce over noodles and cook for a few minutes or until the noodles are done to your liking. i like them al dente.
- Serve immediately.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
More Veggie Noodles to try!