This tomato jam is packed with flavor from the caramelized onions to the bacon to the sweetness of the tomatoes. Perfect on fish, chicken or crusty bread.
I’ve never had tomato jam but it always sounded very tasty. Now that I’m faced with a mountain of tomatoes I tried to find more and more ways of eating them. I’ve also been craving caramelized onions for some reason. Yes, I know that’s strange but the I’ve been wanting to put them in everything so I thought it might be good in this tomato jam and while I’m at it, may as well add some bacon! Everything’s better with bacon right?!
I don’t know why I’ve never made tomato jam before because it’s quite easy. I just browned my bacon, caramelized my onions and tossed in my tomatoes and some coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is a little healthier type of sugar that tastes a bit like brown sugar. You can use brown sugar if you don’t have it. I cooked it down until it became this rich and thick jammy consistency and it was ready to go.
Tomato Jam with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
I ate this on a piece of grilled chicken for lunch… delicious! I think it will taste great on a piece of fish or atop rice and even a crusty piece of bread. This would also go nicely with some fresh ricotta and French bread toasts. Do you make tomato jam? What do you put in yours? Drop me a comment and let me know. Until next post, go grab some of those tomatoes and make some jam!
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cups ripe tomatoes,chopped
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook your bacon in a skillet.
- When done, take out the bacon to cool and put the onions in the skillet with the bacon grease.
- Cook the onions until caramelized about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime chop up your bacon and set aside.
- Chop up your tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper and let sit.
- Once the onions are done, add in your tomatoes and bacon and cook down until most of the
- water has evaporated and the becomes a jam like consistency. About 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over fish or chicken or eat with crusty bread and cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
More great tomato recipes!