This is the best wedding soup ever, according to my son and husband! Rich chicken broth, shredded chicken, meatballs and pasta make for a hearty soup.
I called this the Best Wedding Soup Ever, not because I am full of myself but rather because that is what my son calls it and that is high praise indeed. Actually I am usually very modest but this recipe is an exception. It really is quite tasty!
First you start with a good bone broth. Bone broth (recipe here) is a well known ingredient or recipe in the Paleo sphere because of it’s gut healing properties. It just also happens to be quite delicious too. I usually put a chicken in a crockpot and cook it on high for about 4 hours. I take it out, clean the meat off of it and then throw it back in the crockpot (except for the skin). Then add some filtered water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar (a couple Tablespoons) and a few bay leaves. Let that cook on low in the crockpot for about 24 hours and you have a ton of bone broth that you can freeze or use in your cooking.
To make this soup you basically just saute some carrots and celery in coconut oil or olive oil til softened. Add your bone broth, kale, ginger, garlic and water and cook for awhile. Add the meatballs and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the pasta and cook for about 10 minutes and then lastly add your cooked chicken at the end. Sometimes I add a chicken base or Better Than Boullion for more flavor but it doesn’t really need it.
This is very hearty and can be eaten as a meal. You could use less pasta and meat if you like it more brothy but this is the way my family likes it. Enjoy!
- 4 Cups Homemade bone broth
- 2 Cups water
- 2 carrots, Chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ Cup Acini Di Pepe, (you can use orzo and any other small pasta if you like)
- 2 Cups meatballs, frozen
- 1 Cup Baby kale leaves, Chopped
- ½ Cup Parsley, Chopped
- 2 Cups Chicken, cooked, Chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 Tablespoons chicken base or bouillon, Optional
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- In a stock pot, add coconut oil, carrots and celery. Saute for a few minutes then add your broth and water. Bring to slow boil and cook for 5 minutes. If you are using bouillon or chicken base, add it here.
- Add the frozen meatballs, kale, garlic, ginger and parsley and continue to simmer for about another 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook for another10 minutes. Lastly add the cooked chicken and cook for 5 more minutes. Make sure the pasta and the vegetables are cooked. I'm just estimating the time but you can add everything but the chicken and pasta at the beginning if you are pressed for time.