If you are looking for a low carb savory quick bread, try this sun dried tomato protein bread recipe. Savory herbs and tomatoes give this gluten free and low carb bread lots of flavor and it has a great texture. It’s low carb (2.2g net carbs) and high protein with 9.2g protein per slice.
You might also like the this keto banana protein bread recipe!
As you may know I have been playing around with protein powder breads. I made a couple sweet varieties and wanted to try a savory one.
So today I give you a sun dried tomato protein bread recipe. I am so excited at how good these low carb breads turned out. They are moist and have the texture of real bread. And this savory version is just delicious.
But best of all they do not use regular flour, almond flour nor coconut flour. They are gluten free, sugar free, and low carb! Oh yeah they are easy to make too so if you miss bread on a low carb diet I highly recommend trying one of these recipes and see for yourself.
What is protein bread?
Protein bread is usually low carb and uses protein powder instead of wheat flour, almond meal or coconut flour.
It’s the type of bread that would be great for breakfast as it’s low carb and high protein which is a great way for me to start my day. This basic recipe is now my go to quick bread recipe. I just change it up a bit to be either sweet or savory.
What is the texture like?
This sun dried tomato bread is like a savory quick bread. It’s not spongy or eggy but has a bread texture more like banana bread but not like a slice of white bread.
Everyone in my family likes this protein bread and let me tell you they are picky. Hopefully you can see from the pictures what the texture is like.
Recipe ingredients I used.
While most of these are simple ingredients and ones you should have already, there are a few unusual ones.
The ingredients I used were Isopure Zerocarb protein powder, eggs, cream cheese, olive oil, butter, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, almond milk, xanthan gum, Swerve sweetener, flax meal, sun dried tomatoes, Italian seasonings, garlic and parmesan cheese.
So out of all of those ingredients I would highly recommend that you use Isopure Zerocarb Unsweetened protein powder because as the name suggests it has no carbs and works great in this recipe.
How to make savory protein powder bread.
Step 1: Place the cream cheese and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
Step 2: Next get out a large mixing bowl and beat the butter and cream cheese together until creamy. Then add the eggs and mix again until well incorporated.
Step 3: Add in the almond milk, olive oil and garlic and mix.
Step 4: In a separate bowl, all of the dry ingredients that are left – protein powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, xanthan gum, Swerve sweetener, Italian seasonings, parmesan cheese and ground flax meal. Then add them to the wet ingredients and use a rubber spatula or large spoon to incorporate. You don’t want to use the mixer in this step. Now you can fold in the sun dried tomatoes into the mixture.
Step 5: Spray your bread pan with nonstick cooking spray and spoon the sun dried tomato bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Step 6: Bake in a 325°F preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and baked through. Touch the middle and if it seems firm it should be done. Baking time may vary depending on your oven or bread pan. I used an 8½ x 4½ inch bread loaf tin by the way.
Step 7: Let it cool before slicing. Store in an airtight container or wrap in aluminum foil. Also you can store individual slices in the freezer for a quick low carb snack. Please scroll down to print the recipe card.
Recipe notes and tips.
- Isopure Zerocarb protein powders are great because they have no carbs as the name suggests. You can use other protein powders but remember that I am using unflavored whey protein powder in this recipe. You don’t want any flavors nor sweetness and with the least amount of carbs.
- The xanthan gum is used a lot in keto baking because it gives it a bit of that chewy mouth feel. You can find it most grocery stores. Check out the gluten free or baking sections for it or you can get it on Amazon.
- Note that this is a savory recipe. The savory ingredients are sun dried tomatoes, Italian seasonings, parmesan cheese and garlic. So to change it up, you can try different spices, cheeses and even things like olives or pepperoni. And to make it sweet refer to my banana recipe and change up the protein powder flavor and try different extracts.
- Most of these ingredients are in my Amazon storefront if you are interested.
I really, really hope you give this protein powder bread a try. If you like no-knead bread I’m telling you, you will love it.
Once you get the basic recipe down you can flavor it sweet or savory very easily. It’s a game changer for anyone on a low carb diet! Enjoy.
You might also like my friend Mira’s savory breakfast muffins.
The nutritional information for 1 slice is 174 calories
13.7g fat / 3.1g carbs / 0.9g fiber / 9.2g protein = 2.2g net carbs
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 scoops IsoPure Zero Carb Protein powder (plain)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Place the cream cheese and butter to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to soften. Then add it to a large mixng bowl and beat until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and mix again until well incorporated. Then add in the almond milk, crushed garlic and olive oil and continue to mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients that are left – protein powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, xanthan gum, Italian seasonings, parmesan cheese, Swerve sweeteener and ground flax seed. Then add them to the egg mixture and use a spatula or large spoon to incorporate. You don’t want to use the mixer in this step. Lastly fold in the sun dried tomatoes.
- Spray a bread pan with nonstick cooking spray and spoon the batter in.
Bake in a preheat 325°F oven for 40-45 minutes until baked through. Touch the middle and if it seems cooked through it is done.
- Let it cool before slicing. Store in an airtight container or wrap in aluminum foil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 slices Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174