This versatile dish of Low Carb Cheese Steak Pot Roast is an easy dinner you can make in the Instant Pot or slow cooker. For a low carb dinner, eat as is with melted cheese. However you can also eat it over noodles or rice and then make soup or sandwiches from the leftovers!
You might also like these low carb cheese steak and waffles!
I’ve made this a few times recently and I still cannot get this Low Carb Cheese Steak Pot Roast to look pretty. It’s not a pretty dish but boy is it tasty. Everyone in my family (even my father in law) likes this dish.
What I like about it is that you can eat it over egg noodles, over rice or in a crock with a nice piece of melted provolone. I ate it with the provolone for a low carb version. Then the next day your family can have soup or sandwiches out of the leftovers!
The perfect recipe for the Instant Pot
Have you bought an Instant Pot yet? This is the one I bought and I just love it. For instance sometimes I just forget to start a slow cooker dish in the morning and then it’s too late. With the Instant Pot you can make this meal in about 2 hours.
You can also brown the meat in the same pot which is nice. When using the slow cooker you have brown it in a skillet first. That being said you can make this in the slow cooker too. Just brown the roast and then put everything into the slow cooker and cook all day.
Low Carb Cheese Steak Pot Roast Recipe
- To make this cheese steak pot roast, begin with a chuck roast and a little steak seasoning rubbed on both sides.
- Press the saute button of your Instant Pot and adjust to high. Pour the oil and let it get hot. Then brown the roast on both sides. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Take out the roast and add the butter and onions and brown for a few minutes. Scrape up all of the good brown bits – they add lots of flavor.
- Next add the green peppers, mushrooms, broth and roast. Place the lid on and push the pressure release valve to the back.
- Set manual time for 70 minutes and walk away.
When it’s done cooking, you can eat it as a roast, or shred it a bit to eat over noodles or rice. I had the low carb dinner version above in the purple crock. Place under the broiler to get the cheese nice and brown.
low carb cheese steak pot roast
As I mentioned you can also make soup from the leftovers. Just add more beef broth the next day and heat up on the stove. You might want to cut up or shred the meat a bit more but it’s a delicious way to stretch your leftovers. The nutrition of 1 serving of this pot roast is:
425 cals / 25.7g fat / 5g carbs / 1.5g fiber / 46.1g protein = 3.5g net carbs
Remember you can eat this many ways
- As a roast, just cut into pieces when done.
- Shredded for sandwiches or to top noodles.
- Shred and add melted cheese on top for a low carb dinner.
- Use leftovers to make a soup buy adding more beef stock.
Low Carb Cheese Steak Pot Roast made in the Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 2 green peppers, sliced thin
- 1-2 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup beef stock
Push the saute button on your Instant Pot and adjust to high.
Add the oil and let heat up.
Meanwhile rub steak seasoning on chuck roast and brown for 5 minutes on each side in the Instant Pot.
Take out roast and add the butter and onions for a minute or two to soften. Scrape up the brown bits while stirring.
Add in the peppers, mushrooms roast and stock. Place the lid on and turn the pressure release to the back.
Press the manual button and cook for 70 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally.
When finished eat as a roast or shred and eat over rice or noodles. You can also eat shredded with a piece of provolone cheese on top for a low carb dinner. Lastly you can eat the leftovers as sandwiches or add extra broth to make soup.
You can make this in the slow cooker by browning the meat in a skillet and then add everything to the slow cooker and cook all day.