This healthy shamrock smoothie bowl is a thick, creamy, low carb breakfast you’ll love. A little matcha green tea to get you going as well as healthy fats, protein and fiber with only 3.6g net carbs per bowl.
You might also like this other low carb matcha smoothie bowl.
I like smoothie bowls but I don’t always have the time to sit down and eat one. It’s usually a drink on the go for a low carb breakfast. However in honor of the upcoming St. Patrick’s day, I made this low carb, healthy shamrock smoothie bowl and it was delicious! It’s light but full of good for you ingredients to get your day started. The whole big bowl has only 3.6g net carbs and each chocolate shamrock has only 0.2g net carbs. They are optional but fun to make.
Healthy Shamrock Smoothie Bowl Ingredients
The ingredients I used to make this healthy smoothie bowl are the following:
- fresh spinach: Spinach is high in vitamins C and K, folic acid, iron and calcium. (more here)
- matcha green tea: Matcha is full of antioxidants and gives you a boost of caffeine without the jitters. I buy all my matcha here.
- Isopure zero carb protein powder: I like this because it has zero carbs with good taste and adds protein.
- avocado: Avocados are great because they add creaminess. They are also high in healthy fats, fiber, potassium and loaded with vitamins and minerals. (more here)
- almond milk: I like almond milk because it’s very low carb but you can use coconut milk too.
- peppermint extract: I used this just to get that minty tasty. Can also use fresh mint leaves.
- Swerve sweetener: I like this sweetener the best because it has 0 net carbs and I like the taste. You can use others if you wish.
- 85% dark chocolate: I like the 85% Moser dark chocolate bars from Aldi because they taste good and are lower in carb.
Shamrock Smoothie Bowl Recipe
This is very simple, just add the avocado, spinach, protein powder, matcha green tea, peppermint extract, sweetener, almond milk to a high speed blender and whiz until nice and creamy. I love my Vitamix blender because it makes the smoothest consistency for soups and smoothies. By the way they are offering this only until March 7th -> Vitamix: $100 off the Certified Reconditioned 5300
How to make chocolate shamrocks
Below you can see how I made the chocolate shamrocks. I melted 1/2 of the small Moser chocolate bars in the microwave – about 30 seconds. Using a small paint brush and parchment paper, I put 4 dots in the shape of square. Then dragging the paint brush I connected them in the middle.
Now I used the paint brush to push the chocolate out on each leaf to make that shamrock shape. Lastly I dragged a little of the chocolate down to make the stem. Let them air dry and then carefully pull them off the parchment paper and lay in your shamrock smoothie bowl.
Above you can see I made them in different sizes and you can see how I what the chocolate looked like melted.
Note: Some of the ingredients are not necessary but I felt they added value to the recipe. For instance the matcha green tea has a bit of caffeine and it’s full of antioxidants but it’s not necessary to the taste. Also the protein powder add sweetness and of course protein but if you don’t care about that leave it out.
What is necessary is the avocado, spinach, almond or coconut milk, peppermint extract and sweetener.
I think this would be a fun breakfast for you or your kids. With the little bit of chocolate you are using, kids will feel like they are getting away with something yet it rather healthy! The nutrition for 1 large smoothie bow is:
244 cals / 13.3g fat / 10.7g carbs / 7.1g fiber / 29g protein = 3.6g net carbs
8 cals / 0.6g fat / 0.4g carbs / 0.2g fiber / 0.2g protein = 0.2g net carbs
Healthy Shamrock Smoothie Bowl - low carb
This healthy shamrock smoothie bowl is a thick, a creamy, low carb breakfast you'll love. A little matcha green tea to get you going as well as healthy fats, protein and fiber with only 3.6g net carbs per bowl.
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 scoop Isopure Zero Carb protein powder, vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 ice cubes
- sweetener to taste
- 1/2 Moser 85% dark chocolate bar (optional)
Add spinach, almond milk, protein powder, extract, avocado and ice cubes to a high speed blender.
Blend on high until nice and creamy.
Taste to see if you want it sweeter or more minty and adjust. Then pour into a bowl and eat!
TO MAKE CHOCOLATE SHAMROCKS
Melt chocolate in the microwave - about 30 seconds. Mix well so all the chocolate is melted.
Using a paintbrush, add 4 dots of chocolate on a piece of parchment paper. Drag the chocolate of each dot into the middle to connect. The shape the four shamrock leaves and add a stem at the bottom. See post for photos.
Notes: You can substitute coconut milk for almond milk. The matcha adds a bit of caffeine which you can eliminate if you wish. The protein powder is not necessary either but both items make for a complete breakfast in my opinion. Lastly you don't need to make the chocolate shamrocks, I just thought they were fun.