Try this burnt almond torte chia pudding and you won’t feel denied on a low carb diet. Sugared almonds, creamy topping and that almond flavored chia pudding make for a delicious low carb dessert for only 2.5g net carbs!
I just got back from vacation and boy did I over do it! I had this ice cream called bride’s cake which reminded me of a burnt almond torte cake. At first I planned on using those flavors for an ice cream, but I’ve been making too much low carb ice cream lately I decided to make this burnt almond torte chia pudding instead! It’s much easier and so tasty!!! The chia pudding has this cherry almond cake flavor, the whipped cream is sweet and creamy and the sugared toasted almonds are crunchy. This batch make 4 small portions and each one is only 2.5g net carbs!
What is a burnt almond torte?
We have a famous bakery, Prantls, here in Pittsburgh that is famous for their burnt almond tortes. They ship that burnt almond torte all over the country, that is how good they are. It’s an almond flavored cake, pastry cream center, white icing and sugared toasted almonds pressed into all sides of the cake. I don’t know if it’s a regional thing but trust me it’s delish!
Burn almond torte ingredients
- chia seeds: You can buy chia seeds almost anywhere. I know Aldi carries them.
- unsweetened almond milk: I always use unsweetened almond milk. It only has 1 carb per cup and I usually buy it at Aldi.
- almond extract: Most grocery stores have almond extract as this is a popular flavor.
- Torani’s Sugar Free S’mores Syrup: I use this syrup the most even though I have about 20 different Torani flavors on hand. You don’t need this but it really does add something to the recipe. You can use some vanilla extract and sweetener if you don’t have it or just plain sweetener. These syrups add flavor and sweetness so if you are substituting keep that in mind.
- Lite Protein Vanilla Cupcake protein powder: I like this protein powder because it tastes like cake to me. I use it in smoothies and it only has 1g net carbs per scoop. It adds that cake flavor to the pudding. You can substitute with a vanilla protein powder. Also you don’t have to use protein powder at all but it adds flavor and thickness so if you don’t, your pudding will be thinner and less sweet.
- heavy whipping cream: This you can find everywhere. I get mine at Aldi.
- sliced almonds: You want sliced almonds that are raw and most grocery stores carry them.
- Swerve sweetener: This is a sweetener I always have on hand. I use it in many desserts and in this case to sugar the almonds.
How to make the toasted almonds topping
Start by toasting your almond slices in a nonstick skillet. You don’t have to use any oil just put the almonds in there dry. Watch the pan because they burn easily. While they are toasting, add the Swerve sweetener and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes so it thickens a bit. Then stir in the butter until it’s melted and then add the nuts. Make sure they are well coated and then spread out on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Let them dry and harden. Note you will have a lot extra that you can store in a sealed bag or container.
How to make this easy Chia Pudding Recipe
Let’s start with the pudding. You simply mix the almond milk, protein powder and almond extract with the chia seeds. Place this in the refrigerator for a few hours so the seeds get plump and thicken. Then take it out and add the S’mores syrup. Taste it and if you want a bit more almond extract add that now. I like it strong but my hubby thought 2 T was too much.
How to make flavored whipped cream
Now to make the whipped cream, use very cold whipping cream and the S’mores sugar free syrup. Using a mixer beat until stiff. Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to use as it can get flat if left out. I used an icing bag to pipe it out on top but no need unless you want to. Note you will have a lot of whipped cream left over but I’m sure you can find a lot of uses for it. Or cut the recipe in half.
Then when it’s all ready put it together and top with a tablespoon of the sugared almonds. These portions are a little small but they were enough for me. Note that you will have a lot of whipping cream and sugared almonds left over so if you want to make a smaller batch for these two things go ahead. The nutritional information for 1 serving using 4 tablespoons of whipped cream and 1 tablespoon of nuts is:
218 cals / 18.5g fat / 22.7g carbs / 2o.2g fiber / 5.9g protein = 2.5g net carbs
Otherwise the individual components of this chia pudding recipe are:
a serving chia pudding = 71 cals / 3.4g fat / 5.8g carbs / 4.6g fiber / 4.1g protein = 1.2g net carbs
1 tablespoon of whipped cream = 26 cals / 2.8g fat / 0.2g carbs / 0.2g protein = 0.2g net carbs
1 tablespoons of sugared almonds = 43 cals / 4g fat /16.2g carbs / 15.6g fiber / 1.2g protein = 0.6g net carbs
Burnt Almond Torte Chia Pudding (low carb dessert)
Try this burnt almond torte chia pudding and you won't feel denied on a low carb diet. Sugared almonds, creamy topping and that almond flavored chia pudding make for a delicious low carb dessert for only 2.5g net carbs!
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 scoop protein powder (see notes)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 4 teaspoons almond extract (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons Torani sugar free S'mores syrup (see notes)
S'mores Whipped Cream (see notes)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Torani sugar free S'mores syrup
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup Swerve sweetener
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
To make the chia pudding
In a bowl, mix the chia seeds, milk, 2 tablespoons of s'mores syrup and 4 teaspoons of almond extract. Taste and see if you want more extract or syrup. I thought these amounts were good for me. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
in a nonstick saute pan, add the sliced almonds and toast. This should take 5 minutes or so. Make sure to watch as they burn easily.
Meanwhile in a sauce pan, add the Swerve sweetener and water. Whisk so the sugar dissolves and boiled down until it starts to get slightly syrupy, about 10 minutes. Add in the butter and mix until it's melted.
Put in the almonds and mix well.
Spread out on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and let air dry.
S'mores Whipped Cream
Add heavy whipped cream in a mixing bowl along with sugar free syrup and whip until it becomes stiff like like whipped cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Add the pudding to 4 containers, top with whipped cream (can pipe with an icing bag if you wish) and the place a tablespoons of almonds.
NOTES*. If you don't have sugar free S'mores syrup you can use some kind of sweetener like Swerve. However the S'mores adds really god flavor though.
Taste the pudding to see if you have enough almond extract or sweetener. My husband and I had different opinions about this but it's easy adjust.
I used LITE Protein Vanilla Cupcake protein mix because it only 1g net carbs per serving and it has the cake flavor. If you don't have this use a vanilla flavored protein powder. This thickens and adds flavor to the pudding. You can check out my Amazon page if you are interested in some of these products. https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.account.AHEP7RR3G3PKZMO7DV7SYWO74ZGA/2ZKY37W2DM5JO
Add this recipe to your Mix!