This garlic ginger red cabbage takes only minutes in the Instant Pot and is full of flavor. An easy, healthy and tasty side dish that would go well with any meat or fish.
I was looking through my Lose It app where I track all the nutrition for my recipes, and came across a cabbage recipe I must of made years ago. It was very simple but I remember it was really good. I had made it with green cabbage last time but this time I thought I’d use red cabbage because I like the color so much. I also made it in the Instant Pot and was happy to find it only took 5 minutes to cook! So today I give you this garlic ginger red cabbage side dish. It’s packed with flavor, very easy to make and full of healthy goodness.
So I quickly looked up why red cabbage has that beautiful purple color and found this article from Dr. Axe. The article explains about all the wonderful healing power of red cabbage. It seems that red cabbage has almost double the vitamin C of green cabbage and even more that an orange. It’s ranked 5th in the clean 15 (one of the lowest amount of pesticide residues.) It also has 10 times the vitamin A and double the iron of green cabbage. The purple color comes from the antioxidant anthocyanin which is not present in green cabbage. So all in all I’m glad I went for the pretty purple one!
As I mentioned above I tried this in the Instant Pot and was surprised that it only took 5 minutes. Start to finish it probably took more like 15 minutes because the Instant Pot takes time to bring it up to pressure and then the actually pressure cooking time is 5 minutes. Regardless it took little time and made the cabbage super soft. I first started by sautéing crushed garlic and fresh ginger root in coconut oil and a bit of butter. Then set it to pressure cook for 5 minutes and it was done.
Garlic Ginger Red Cabbage
You can also make this on the stove and the directions are in the recipe. I served this with pork chops and my husband really liked it and even took some to work today. When he first looked at it, he was not impressed but like me he loves the combination of garlic and ginger. When he tasted it, he was hooked. If you are looking for a quick, colorful and delicious side dish, give this one a try. Next time I’m adding jalapeño and I’ll let you know how it is. The nutrition for one serving is:
96 cals / 6.7g fat / 9.4g carbs / 2.5g fiber / 1.8g protein = 6.9g net carbs
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 8 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup water
- Instant Pot Directions
- Press the saute button and add the coconut oil and butter.
- When melted, add the garlic and ginger and mix well.
- Add in your cabbage, salt, pepper and water.
- Close lid and lock the vent.
- Press the manual button and set for 5 minutes.
- Quick release or release the pressure naturally when done.
- Mix well and serve.
- To make on the stove.
- Add cabbage to a microwave bowl and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt coconut oil and butter in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage and half of the water, mix, cover and turn the heat down to medium.
- Cook until the cabbage is as soft as you would like.
- Mix well and serve.