These bacon wrapped cheese stuffed jalapeños are a delicious low carb appetizer or snack. So easy to make and you can even freeze them and cook later.I might have mentioned that we had crazy amounts of peppers this summer. I mean tons and tons of peppers. One day my hubby brought in a bowl of jalapeños and we decided to stuff them with cheeses and wrap them in bacon. I’ve never had a jalapeño popper but I’m guessing it’s similar to that??? Anyway we scarfed those suckers down quickly and I’ve been hooked ever since. They only take a few minutes to prepare and then you bake them so all that cheese melts, the peppers get soft and the bacon gets crisp. It’s the perfect combination. And it’s low carb too!
So the first thing you want to do is clean out your jalapeño peppers. I recently bought some at Walmart to make them for my book club and they had some nice jumbo ones. The jalapeños pictured below are from my garden and were a little smaller. Regardless, you have to clean out the seeds and the ribs so they won’t be hot. You still will get one or two that will be hot but for the most part this is not a hot dish. I like to slice mine in half and stuff them that way. It’s just a lot easier than stuffing from the top.
I used a melon ball scooper to get the seeds and ribs out. That’s where all the heat comes from. It seemed to be the perfect size for my peppers and made the cleaning really fast.
Next you mix your softened cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stuff each pepper half. Using center cut bacon I cut eat slice of bacon into fourths by cutting it first vertically in two long strips and then cutting those two strips in half horizontally. So you get 4 pepper halves wrapped with one piece of bacon.
I made these also for a big family party I had for Max’s birthday. Since his party was in November, I made them a month earlier and froze them for the party. All I did was prepare them on a cookie sheet as you can see above. Then I placed them in the freezer for 2 hours. Once they are individually frozen, I put them in a freezer bag and popped them in the freezer. On the day of the party, I just thawed them and cooked them normally and they were delicious.
Here is the finished product. If I were just making these for myself I would have cooked them longer. I like my bacon really crisp but no one else in my family does so the ones pictured below were more to my hubby’s liking.
- 22 jalapeños (sliced lengthwise in half)
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 7 pieces of center cut bacon, cut in half lengthwise, then cut again widthwise (4 pieces per slice of bacon)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut your jalapeños in half and clean out the seeds and ribs.
- Mix your cream cheese and cheddar cheese together in a mixing bowl.
- Stuff each pepper half with the cream cheese mixture.
- Cut each slice of bacon in half length-wise and then in half width-wise.
- Wrap each pepper with the cut pieces of bacon.
- Place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook 15-20 minutes or until the bacon is too your liking.