I am a big soup fan. In the fall and winter, nothing fills you up more than a big, bowl of hearty soup and this recipe fits the bill perfectly. It’s a cross between a creamy pumpkin puree soup and a hearty zuppa toscana soup of the likes you can get at Olive Garden.
It’s a fairly simple recipe. First you brown your sausage and set aside. Next add your mushrooms, onions and peppers and sauté for a few minutes. Then put in the rest of your ingredients and simmer for awhile. It’s hearty and filling and the pumpkin adds a sweet and creamy finish, perfectly balancing the spicy sausage. Yum!
While I used red peppers, mushrooms and kale in my soup you could substitute veggies of your choice such as spinach, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, etc. Also you can use different sausages if you like such as hot Italian sausage or a flavored sausage. This soup is definitely hearty. Just add a salad or a sandwich and you have dinner. And that is exactly what we did tonight! Enjoy!
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 can pure pumpkin (15 oz)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 5 mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups baby kale loosely packed
- As your brown your sausage in a soup pan, break it up into bite sized pieces.
- Remove cooked sausage and set aside for later.
- Add oil, onions, mushrooms and peppers to the pan.
- Saute until onions are translucent. Add garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, bouillon, pumpkin and kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add back the sausage and simmer for 5 more minutes.