These low carb berry scones not only low carb, they are gluten free and so delicious! Using almond flour and frozen berries it takes only minutes.
I have never made scones before. I’m not sure if I mentioned this but I am a terrible baker. I feel like I’m a pretty good cook but a terrible baker. So when I saw this recipe and I had all the ingredients I thought I’d give it a try.
I also wanted to have a gluten-free breakfast item for my husband to eat. He loves his blueberry bagel in the morning and I’m trying to get him away from that after reading “Grain Brain” and “Wheat Belly”. So this was an attempt to make something he would like. And he did. He said he would definitely eat this for breakfast so I am happy. 🙂
It’s very easy to whip up and I’m sure you could freeze them but since it only makes 6 scones, they go fast. It’s adapted from Healthy Living How To’s Cranberry Drop Scones. All I did was substitute frozen berries instead of the cranberries. Try them out and let me know how you like them.
- 1 cup almond flour, (not almond meal)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup Swerve or Splenda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup frozen berries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat the eggs and add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking powered, sweetener, cinnamon and salt.
- Add egg mixture until it forms a dough. Slowly fold in berries. Don't mix too much or your dough will start to look gray from the berries.
- Put a piece of parchment paper or a Silpat on a cookie tray. Form dough into 6 scones (any form you like really).
- Bake 15- 20 minutes till golden brown. Let sit and cool.