This slow cooker low carb Mexican casserole needs only 6 ingredients. It’s cheesy, creamy and full of those spicy Mexican flavors. Each serving is only 6.2g net carbs. This low carb Mexican casserole can be made in the Instant Pot too!
You might also like this low carb Mexican chili meatloaf recipe!
This week on Sunday Supper we are celebrating slow cooker comfort foods. To me comfort food is full of creamy and cheesy goodness and this slow cooker low carb Mexican casserole does not disappoint.
To keep it low carb, I’ve used shredded cabbage instead of pasta and it tastes great! Think of this dish as a Mexican flavored, deconstructed cabbage roll. You only need 6 ingredients and a few minutes to make this tasty, comforting dish.
other low carb slow cooker recipes
Both of my slow cookers finally died. I got my first slow cooker for my wedding 15 years ago and then I had bought a spare from Aldi. In both cases the crocks just didn’t make it. But I can’t complain because I got a lot of mileage out of my original slow cooker.
slow cooker low carb Mexican casserole recipe
To make this simple but tasty dish you just need ground beef, a packet of taco seasoning, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, tomatoes and cabbage. Shredded cabbage gives you the texture of pasta and goes well with ground beef. My mother in law used to make ground beef and cabbage which is just browned ground beef with shredded cabbage and I used to love the combination.
So you begin by browning the meat with half of the taco seasoning and then add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker. If you get a chance, try to mix it up half way but you don’t have to. You can wait and do that 5 minutes before you serve it.
Low Carb Mexican Casserole in the Instant Pot
Above and below you can see the Instant Pot version. There is a bit more liquid in it but it’s essential the same. You just a tablespoon of oil and use the saute function to brown the meat first. Then sprinkle in the seasoning, tomatoes and cabbage and mix well.
Secure the lid and pressure cook manually for 10 minutes. Do an immediate pressure release and then add the cheddar and cream cheeses. Mix for a few minutes until the cheeses melt.
And that is all there is to it. I hope you like this low carb casserole. For more delicious slow cooker recipes, scroll down to see what my friends have for you! The nutritional information for 1 serving is:
385 cals / 26.4g fat / 9.1g carbs / 2.9g fiber / 26.5g protein = 6.2g net carbs
Slow Cooker Low Carb Mexican Casserole #SundaySupper
- 1 can tomatoes with chilies
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasonings
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
To make in the slow cooker.
In a large saute pan brown the meat with half of the taco seasoning.
Add cabbage, tomatoes, taco mix, beef mixture, cream cheese and cheese to the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours and mix half way through. Or cook on low all day.
Mix well before serving.
To make in the Instant Pot.
Add a tablespoon of oil to the pot and hit the saute button. Brown the meat and then mix in the spices, tomatoes and cabbage.
Secure the lid and pressure cook using the manual button for 10 minutes. When done do a quick release and open the pot.
Add the cheddar and cream cheeses and mix for a few minutes until they melt.
Slow Cooker Comfort Food Recipes #SundaySupper
Desserts, Breakfasts, and Sides
- Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crisp by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Slow Cooker Banana Coconut Pudding by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Baked Apples by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Slower Cooker Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter by Our Good Life
- Beef Brisket in Slow Cooker by Life Tastes Good
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff by Flour On My Face
- Crockpot Cabbage Rolls by My World Simplified
- Slow Cooker Asian BBQ Pork by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Asian Garlic-Ginger Meatballs by The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy by Sunday Supper Movement
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Cube Steaks Paprika by Hardly A Goddess
- Slow Cooker Pepperoncini Chicken by Cricket’s Confections
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak by Soulfully Made
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Mushrooms by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Tinga de Pollo Poblano by Cooking On The Ranch
Soups, Stews, and Pastas
- Beef Massaman Curry (Slow Cooker) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Beefy Chili Mac by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Kid Friendly Mac and Cheese in a Crockpot by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork & Lentil Stew by Gourmet Everyday
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Slow Cooker Curried Butternut Squash Soup by Bites of Wellness
- Slow Cooker Low Carb Mexican Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Slow Cooker Pesto Mozzarella Chicken Pasta by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Pork Stew by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.