This roasted cabbage with creamy tomato sauce reminds me of a decadent pasta dish. The flavorful tomato sauce tops the sweet roasted cabbage for a great vegetarian meal.
I have wanted to make cabbage steaks for along time but I know my hubby would never eat it. Tonight I decided to make it anyway. Of course I made something else for him and Max but I got to enjoy this fabulous roasted cabbage with creamy tomato sauce. It came out so much better than I thought. The sauce was unbelievably flavorful. Rich and creamy and oh so yummy! The roasted cabbage was pretty good on it’s own but I really liked it with the tomatoes.
I learned along time ago that cabbage is a good substitute for pasta when you are watching carbs or trying to steer clear of gluten. That was back before all the spiralized noodles came around of which I am a huge fan. I’m written so many veggie noodle posts. Here are four just so you get the idea of how much I love veggie noodles.
Now for the sauce. All I did was toss some grape tomatoes with some olive oil, garlic and spices. I sauteed them in a pan until they wilted and then added cream and cream cheese. I did this while the cabbage was roasting in the oven.
When the cabbage was done, so was the sauce. I just spooned the tomatoes over the cabbage and dove in with a fork and knife. The sauce was so decadent with the roasted cabbage but it worked. If I had some pine nuts I would have sprinkled a few on top.
Roasted Cabbage with Creamy Tomato Sauce
Now that summer is here, if you find you have an abundance of grape or cherry tomatoes, make this sauce and use it with some roasted cabbage. You won’t believe how good it is….perfect for your next meatless meal! Enjoy!
- ½ head of cabbage cut into 4 slivers
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 4 cups tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 Tablespoons cream
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 1 teaspoon crushed garlic.
- Arrange your cabbage slivers and brush with the garlic and oil mixture.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then flip the cabbage and roast for another 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix your tomatoes, remaining olive oil and garlic in a large bowl. Add your basil and oregano and mix well.
- Add to a skillet and cook on medium to medium high until the tomatoes burst and become softer. This should take 30 - 40 minutes. Roughly the time it takes to roast the cabbage.
- When the tomatoes are done, add your cream and cream cheese and mix well to combine.
- Take your cabbage out of the oven and spoon the tomato cream sauce over the pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!