I lliterally threw this together in 15 minutes because just as I was going to make a rather large supper for my family, I found out it would just be me and my hubby. So I quickly switched gears and looked in my fridge and pantry to see what I had on hand: kielbasa, fresh tomatoes from the garden, bell peppers, onions, cajun spice and brown rice with quinoa. Surprisingly it turned out quite delicious!
First I cut up the kielbasa and browned it in a larger skillet. I took it out of the pan and added the onion and sautéed until they softened and then added the peppers, tomatoes and spices. When that all cooked down I add the cooked rice and kielbasa and let it simmer for a few minutes so the flavors would meld. If you want it a little more spicy just add some Tobasco or more cajun spice. Also you can add just about any veggies you have on hand but I think it’s important to have the onions, peppers and tomatoes as a base.
So the next time you are in a bind and need a quick and delicious one pot dinner in under 30 minutes try this delicious dish!
- 1 lb kielbasa or smoked sausage
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ red, yellow or orange pepper, diced
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 large tomatoes,. diced
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used brown rice with quinoa)
- 1 Tablespoon cajun spice
- Hot sauce to taste
- Cut the kielbasa in bite sized pieces and brown in a skillet.
- Put the kielbasa in a bowl for later and add your onions to the skillet.
- Cook the onions until they are soft.
- Add peppers, tomatoes and cajun spice and sauté until the peppers are cooked.
- Add back the kielbasa and cooked rice.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the flavors meld.
- Add more cajun spice or hot sauce if you like it more spicy.
- Please note you can use white rice, brown rice or quinoa. Also shrimp and/or chicken would be a nice addition.