This easy salmon with mango salsa is the perfect low carb dinner for summer. You can make this healthy meal in just 15 minutes. The mango salsa is sweet, spicy and has a hint of fresh mint so it’s very cooling. Best of all there is only 1.4g net carbs and 6 calories per tablespoon of mango salsa so it’s low carb and low calorie!
You might also like this Paleo tuna mango salsa bowl!
We tend to eat a lot of smoked salmon in the summer because my son and hubby loves it. However today I was in the mood for something different so I made this quick and easy salmon with mango salsa. (I also made an avocado salsa that I’ll share next week!)
Start to finish this healthy dinner only took about 15 minutes as most. The salsa is full of sweet, spicy and flavors and is a deliciously fresh way to top not only salmon but also chicken or shrimp.
I used some fresh mint from my garden to the give the fruit salsa an extra kick. I love that this topping is both low calorie (6 calories) and low carb (1.4g net carbs). It’s a tasty and nutritious meal for anyone on either a low carb or low calorie diet.
Recipe ingredients I used.
There are only a few mango salsa ingredients for this recipe: fresh ripe mangoes, jalapeno peppers, sweet bell peppers, red onion, fresh lime juice and fresh mint leaves.
While I really wanted to use fresh herbs in this recipe so I used fresh mint. However you can also substitute fresh cilantro or even parsley if you want. But if you have the mint give it a try but it makes a nice contrast.
Note that I cooked my salmon in a pan on the stove but you could also grill it. And while I think fresh mangoes are better, you could also use frozen mangoes but make sure they are thawed completely before mixing the salsa.
How to make salmon with mango salsa.
- To get the salmon cooking, get out a saute pan and heat to medium high heat. Add a little bit of butter to the pan and then take the salmon fillet and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add your salmon skin side up to the melted butter in the hot pan, turn it down to medium heat and cook for about 3-5 minutes until you see that they are cooked about ⅓ of the way up the fish from the bottom.
- Flip the filets and cook the other side for another 3-5 minutes or until almost cooked through. I like to keep the center a little pink. When you set them aside for a few minutes to rest they will continue to cook a little. (Note cooking time may vary depending on the size of your fillets.) The internal temperature of the thickest part of the salmon should be between 125°-135°F for medium rare and 145°F for well done. (source)
- While the salmon is cooking, chop the mango, red onion, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper and mint. Finely mince and mix together in a medium bowl. Then squeeze the lime juice and mix again. Note you could also use lemon juice if you want but the lime is better.
- Serve the mango salsa on top or on the side of the piece of salmon. Store the fresh mango salsa in an airtight container in the refrigerator.(Please scroll down to view and print the recipe card.)
What keto side dishes to serve with this salmon recipe.
Because this salmon recipe takes little time to make you probably want a side dish that is quick and easy as well. I would suggest making something simple like this keto asiago cauliflower rice or these cauliflower steaks romano style.
Well if you are looking for a deliciously easy, low carb dinner recipe for summer, try this salmon with spicy mango salsa. Remember you can use the salmon on most any fish as well as chicken or shrimp.
It only takes 15 minutes from start to finish so it’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal. And keep your eye out for an avocado salsa that I have coming up that would go great too. Both of these salsa are great for a low carb diet. Enjoy!
The nutritional information for 1 tablespoon of salsa is 6 calories
0g fat / 1.6g carbs / 0.2g fiber / 0.1g protein = 1.4g net carbs
- 1 -2 salmon steaks
- ¾ cup mango, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, minced
- ¼ cup sweet bell pepper, minced
- 5 fresh mint leaves, minced
- juice of ½ lime
- TO MAKE THE SALMON: To get the salmon cooking, get out a saute pan and heat to medium high heat. Add a little bit of butter to the pan and sprinkle salt and black pepper over the salmon filet or filets.
- Add your salmon filets skin side up to the hot pan, turn it down to medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes until you see that they are cooked about ⅓ of the way up the fish from the bottom. Flip the filets and cook the other side for another 5 minutes or until almost cooked through. Set them aside for a few minutes to rest. (The internal temperature of the thickest part of the salmon should be between 125°-135°F for medium rare and 145°F for well done.)
- TO MAKE THE SALSA: While the salmon is cooking, chop the mango, red onion, peppers and mint. Finely mince and mix together. Add a squeeze of lime juice and mix again. Note you could also use lemon juice if you want but the lime is better.
- Serve the mango salsa on top or on the side of the salmon filets. Please note this recipe makes about 20 tablespoons of salsa.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 tablespoons Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 6