This easy keto chicken cordon bleu recipe is a simple dish using Swiss cheese and prosciutto all wrapped up in a thin chicken cutlet. It’s even simpler because there is no breading and only needs 4 ingredients! It’s a naturally low carb high protein dinner. Great keto recipe for a busy weeknight dinner!
You might also like these low carb chicken ham and Swiss waffles!
To be honest I’ve never had traditional chicken cordon bleu but I had a vague idea of what the flavors were and I thought it would make a good low carb dinner.
Well one day when I was shopping at Aldi I saw thin cut chicken breasts, prosciutto and of course they always have Swiss cheese. So I decided to make this easy keto chicken cordon bleu recipe.
All you need to do is layer, roll, brown and bake and dinner is served! It has the classic flavors of the classic dish but it’s easier. I chose not to use any breading or sauce but I have suggestions for you below if you want to try them.
This is a naturally low carb, high protein dinner that only needs 4 ingredients and it’s sure to be a family favorite regardless if they are on a keto diet because the ham and cheese add so much flavor.
What is chicken cordon bleu?
I found out on Wikipedia that typically chicken cordon bleu is chicken wrapped around cheese and ham. Some people make this with pork or veal too and it can be breaded then pan fried.
I chose not to bread this version but if you were wishing to do that, you could use mix crushed up pork rinds and grated cheese in as a breading. Place them in a shallow bowl and place a beaten egg in another shallow bowl. Dip the chicken rolls in the egg then the breadcrumb mixture.
Here is a post about keto pork rind breading if you are interested.
Recipe ingredients I used.
TThe 3 simple ingredients are thin chicken cutlets, Swiss cheese slices and ham. And I used olive oil for browning make 4 ingredients.
For this recipe I bought everything at Aldi. They had thin cut chicken breast, prosciutto ham and slices of Swiss cheese which you can see in the picture below.
If you can’t find thin sliced chicken breast just buy boneless, skinless breast. Take each breast and slice through as you would a bagel. Take the slices and add to a baggie and pound with a meat tenderizer. If you don’t have a meat tenderizer, us a heavy skillet to pound them thin. Mine were a little thick and I wish I had pounded them thinner but they will still taste good.
How to make this simple keto chicken cordon bleu without breading.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F. You need thin cutlets so that you can roll them up. As I said earlier I bought them already sliced but if you don’t have any you can cut them in half lengthwise and pound them thin into uniform pieces.
Step 2: Take a thin cutlet and season with salt and black pepper if you wish and then place a piece of prosciutto and a slice of cheese. Then roll chicken up into a bundle and secure them with toothpicks if you have to to keep them together.
I have very different sizes of my cutlets but as long as they are the same thickness it should all work out.
Step 3: Get out an oven proof pan or skillet and heat to medium high heat. Add a little olive oil and when it’s hot, turn the heat down to medium heat. Add the rolled cutlets seam side down so the pan with sear it shut.
Then brown the chicken rolls on both sides. This should take about 3-5 minutes or so for it to get golden brown. If you don’t have an oven proof skillet just transfer the rolled cutlets to a baking dish.
Step 4: Next add the pan to the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through. It should reach an internal temperature of 165°F when using a meat thermometer. This will take 15-20 minutes.
By the way I love this oven ready skillet that I have because you can use it on the stove, then in the oven and finally serve out of it when everything is done. I make a lot of one pot dinners in this pan.
Let cool then serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap. Please scroll down for the printable recipe card.
An easy keto cheesy cream sauce for this recipe.
I did not add a creamy sauce to mine because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible but if you would like one, here is a simple recipe for you.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a skillet and 2 cloves of garlic, crushed. Saute for a minute or two until the garlic is fragrant.
- Then add in 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and ¾ cup of heavy cream. Whisk until the cream cheese is melted and everything is incorporated.
- Lastly add in ¾ cup of Swiss, gruyere or Parmesan cheese and whisk until melted. Pour over cooked chicken rolls.
Simple keto side dishes for this recipe.
We ate this with some Brussels sprouts and a simple green salad to make it a meal but if you want some thing more you can serve it with this tomato and spinach cauliflower rice or these zucchini noodles with carbonara which are some of my favorite recipes because they are easy!
You might also like these zucchini noodles with lemon and parmesan as they take just 10 minutes! And this asiago cauliflower rice only takes 15 minutes so you can make either of these while the chicken bakes.
This simple keto chicken cordon bleu recipe was a very easy low carb dinner for us and very filling. One chicken roll is more than enough per person and this recipe makes 4.
The nutrition information for 1 serving is: 538 cals / 21.9g fat / 0g carbs / 81.9g protein
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin**
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices prosciutto ham
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. I had 4 chicken pieces so this recipe made 4 servings for me.
- Lay your thinly sliced pieces of chicken** flat and season with salt and pepper. Then place 1 ½ pieces of Swiss on top. Then add a piece of prosciutto. Roll up as best you can and place a couple toothpicks to keep them in place.
- Get out an oven proof skillet and heat to medium high heat. Add the olive oil and once it's hot, turn the heat down to medium heat. Add the chicken rolls with the seam side down to that the hot pan will sear them shut. (If you don't have an oven proof pan you can just transfer them to a baking sheet or dish after browning.)
- Brown for about 3 minutes on each side. This may be difficult with the toothpicks but do the best you can. Then place in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. It should be done when the internal temperature is 165° when using a meat thermomter.
- Let rest for a few minutes then serve.
- **Note** Sometimes you can buy thinly sliced chicken. If you cannot find this, take a boneless, skinless chicken breast and slice as you would a bagel. If the slices are too thick, place in a baggie and using a meat tenderizer or heavy skillet, pound it thin. You want uniform thickness for all the pieces. The thinner they are the easier they are to roll.
- I chose not to bread this version but if you were wishing to do that, you could use a mixture of crushed up pork rinds and grated cheese as a breading. Dip in egg then the breadcrumbs and skip the browning and just bake in the oven but add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- I did not add a sauce to mine because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible but if you would like one, here is a simple recipe for you.
Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a skillet and 2 cloves of garlic, crushed. Saute for a minute or two until the garlic is fragrant.
Then add in 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and ¾ cup of heavy cream. Whisk until the cream cheese is melted and everything is incorporated.
Lastly add in ¾ cup of Swiss, gruyere or Parmesan cheese and whisk until melted. Pour over cooked chicken rolls.
The nutrition information for 1 serving is:538 cals / 21.9g fat / 0g carbs / 81.9g protein
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 538Unsaturated Fat: 0g