This creamy chicken skillet dinner with spinach & mushrooms is a delicious low carb meal you can make in under 40 minutes. Only 2.9g net carbs per serving!
Lately I’ve been make a lot of skillet dinners with cream sauce. I love cream sauces but my husband does not. However when I make them lighter like my recent creamy pork & apples dinner, he doesn’t seem to mind. As a matter of fact he raved about this creamy chicken skillet dinner with spinach and mushrooms. It only has 2.9g net carbs and takes 40 minutes to make. That’s a win/win for me!
Part of the reason the sauce is so good is that I used Swiss cheese too. I had bought a huge package of it at Sam’s Club and have been trying to find ways to use it. The Swiss cheese went well with the spinach and mushrooms and gave the cream sauce some added flavor.
Creamy Chicken Skillet Dinner
Thoughts & Notes
- I like to use baby portobello mushrooms because they are meatier. Also make sure to brown them really well before mixing into the rest of the dish to get maximum flavor.
- Just add the spinach at the end. As you are mixing with the hot ingredients in the skillet it will wilt quickly but still have a little oomph and lots of color.
- This dish is very simple but tastes very decadent.
- You can eat it over egg noodles or as is for a low carb dinner.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did. It really is quite easy to make and I know you won’t be disappointed with the taste. Here is the nutrition information for one serving:
207 cals/ 15.8g fat/ 3.1g carbs / 0.2g fiber / 13.6g protein = 2.9g net carbs
And here are a few more creamy skillet dinners to try.
Swiss Chicken & Spinach Skillet Dinner
- 6 thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup cream heavy or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 2 cups spinach chopped
Heat a large skillet to medium high and add the olive oil.
When hot, brown the chicken thighs on both sides. This should take about 3 minutes per side.
Take out the thighs and set aside. Add the butter and sliced mushrooms and brown for about 3-5 minutes.
When the mushrooms are browned, add the broth, thyme and garlic and mix well.
Add back the chicken, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes over medium heat.
Take out the thighs to make this part easier. Add in the cheese and cream and mix well until the cheese is melted.
Take off the heat and add in the spinach. Mix and then pour over chicken thighs or add the thighs back to the skillet if serving from the skillet.
Serve as is for a low carb dinner or over egg noodles.