These keto chicken thighs with creamy mushroom and spinach sauce is sure to be a family pleaser. You can make this one pan chicken dinner in less than 40 minutes and each serving is only 2.9g net carbs! So if you are looking for an easy, healthy dinner try this one.
You might also like this low carb spinach & artichoke stuffed chicken recipe.
Lately I’ve been make a lot of skillet dinners with cream sauce. I love cream sauces but my husband does not. However when I make them lighter like my recent creamy pork & apples dinner, he seems to enjoy them.
As a matter of fact he raved about these keto chicken thighs with creamy mushroom and spinach sauce. It only has 2.9g net carbs and takes 40 minutes to make. That’s a win/win for me! It’s a healthy and delicious weekday keto dinner.
Ingredients For The Creamy Sauce
I used Swiss cheese in the creamy spinach sauce and that is part of the reason it is so tasty. I had bought a huge package of it at Sam’s Club and have been trying to find ways to use it. The Swiss cheese went well with the spinach and mushrooms and gave the cream sauce some added flavor.
So the ingredients for this creamy sauce are mushrooms, spinach, heavy cream, garlic, thyme, butter and chicken broth. And of course there is the Swiss cheese too!
Keto Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken thighs and brown them in a large skillet.
- Take out the chicken and add butter and mushrooms. When mushrooms start to brown, mix in the broth, thyme and garlic.
- Mix well and then add the chicken back. Cover and cook for 10-15 over medium heat.
- Lastly take out the chicken and whisk in the cream and Swiss cheese. Once the cheese is melted and the sauce is made add in the spinach and let it wilt.
- Then add back to the chicken and serve.
Keeping Spinach Green
I like to add half of the spinach into the cream sauce and mix well. Then I add more fresh spinach right before serving to keep the spinach green and from shrinking. If you would rather more dense spinach sauce, just add all of it in with the sauce before placing in the chicken thighs.
Creamy Chicken Recipe Notes
- I like to use baby portobello mushrooms because they are meatier. Also make sure to brown them really well before mixing into the rest of the dish to get maximum flavor.
- This dish is very simple but tastes very decadent because of the creamy sauce.
- Double the spinach if you want to make this a creamy spinach and mushroom side dish instead of a sauce.
- You can eat it dish over egg noodles or eat it as is for a low carb dinner.
- You can use a different cheese, but I think the Swiss is quite nice.
I hope you enjoy this healthy chicken thigh recipe as much as my family did. It really is quite easy to make and I know you won’t be disappointed with the taste. Here is the nutrition information for one serving:
207 cals/ 15.8g fat/ 3.1g carbs / 0.2g fiber / 13.6g protein = 2.9g net carbs
Keto Chicken Skillet Dinner with Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Sauce
This creamy chicken skillet dinner with spinach & mushrooms is a delicious low carb meal you can make in under 40 minutes.
- 6 thighs, boneless skinless
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- Heat a large skillet to medium high and add the olive oil.
- When hot, brown the chicken thighs on both sides. This should take about 3 minutes per side.
- Take out the thighs and set aside. Add the butter and sliced mushrooms and brown for about 3-5 minutes.
- When the mushrooms are browned, add the broth, thyme and garlic and mix well.
- Add back the chicken, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes over medium heat.
- Take out the thighs to make this part easier. Add in the cheese and cream and mix well until the cheese is melted.
- Take off the heat and add in the spinach. Mix and then pour over chicken thighs or add the thighs back to the skillet if serving from the skillet.
- Serve as is for a low carb dinner or over egg noodles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Your recipe was delicious! I didn’t have any chicken stock, so I used water, and combined with the chicken thighs with skin on had magically turned itself into chicken broth anyway! I have made similar recipes but never used cheese. This is now my go to recipe. Thanks!
Hi Roy, so glad you liked it!
All I have on hand is canned spinach, canned mushrooms and fat free milk? Would ai still be able to pull this off
I’ve never had canned spinach but I don’t see why the wouldn’t work as well as the mushrooms. I think the milk might make it too thin though. Maybe use more cheese??? Good luck!
What about half&half instead of heavy cream
Yes, half and half would be fine.
What about chicken breasts ?
Chicken breasts would work fine! We just eat thighs because my family likes them better.
Cream what?? Cream cheese? Sour cream? Im confused
Sorry for being vague. I was referring to heavy cream or whipping cream. Hope that helps! I’ll go fix the recipe.
Thanks for pointing that out.
What do we use the butter for? What kind of broth? Ground or leaves Thyme?
Thank you for bringing all of that to my attention. I have fixed the recipe. You add the butter when you add the mushrooms. And you use chicken broth and dried thyme. My apologies for the errors. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Looks really good! We cook with chicken all the time & love finding new recipes for chicken. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Shared
I can’t wait to make this! Pinning for later!
Your creamy chicken skillet dinner looks amazing. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us at Snickerdoodle.
Thanks for stopping by Sharon!
This recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe at Craft Frenzy Friday on Mom Home Guide.
Helen at the Lazy Gastronome
This looks like something my family will love! Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner link up and don’t forget to leave a comment at the party – Next week’s features that also leave a comment get pinned, yummed and tweeted!