These low carb gyro meat crackers are super easy to make and a delicious Paleo snack. Only 0.9g net carbs for 10 small crackers. Great on salads too!
I know you are thinking “what the heck is a meat cracker?” Well it tastes just like it sounds. It’s not chewy like jerky but more crunchy. I’ve been wanting to make low carb gyro meat crackers for a long time. I got the idea when I bought some shaved gyro meat. I fried it in a pan because I like to get it really crispy. That got me to thinking about making my own gyro meat and then it morphed into this dish. I just love them. You can snack on them whenever you want and they are very filling. They are also good on salads. This whole recipe makes 60 small crackers and comes to 5.4g net carbs for the whole thing!
I have a thing for gyros and for crackers. On this blog I’ve made gyro bagels and gyro meatballs as well as cashew crackers and almond thins so why not combine my two loves into one?. Anyway, if you like gyros you will like this recipe.
So to make these meaty snacks, you should start with a very lean ground beef. I used a grass fed beef I got from Aldi. It worked perfectly in that it didn’t shrink up too much nor did it leave much grease. You add your various seasonings and mix well with a fork. The fork will help you mix the seasonings in without overworking the meat. Then you place on a silicone mat or some parchment paper. On top I placed a piece of wax paper that was sprayed with cooking spray. Using a rolling pin, I rolled it out as flat as I could. If I had a bit of patience I would have rolled it thinner. But patience eludes me. 😉
Ok so the picture above is not too appealing but I wanted to you see how I rolled it out and scored it with a pizza cutter before baking. You want to bake it until it’s brown and then leave it in the oven until the crackers are crispy. This part is a little tricky but you want to keep any eye on them to make sure they don’t burn or get too crispy. So you will have to play it by ear. Mine were a bit thick but it worked ok. I would have liked them thinner though.
Low Carb Gyro Meat Crackers
So I’ve been snacking on these for my lunch, as a snack and have even eaten a few on top of a nice Greek salad. They are very tasty and dense. I know this seems like a crazy recipe but I liked it and wanted to share. Plus I use these recipes as my own personal cookbook and now whenever I get a hankering I know where to find the recipe! The nutritional information for 10 crackers is:
114 cals / 8.1g fat / 1.7g carbs / 0.8g fiber / 8.7g protein = 0.9g net carbs
- ½ lbs of lean ground beef (I used grass fed)
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, almond flour, egg white and garlic and mix lightly with a fork.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the rest of the spices.
- Add the spices and mix the spices into the meat mixture as best you can without over working the meat. I used a fork.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place the meat mixture on the cookie sheet and try to roll as thin as possible. Place a sprayed piece of wax paper on the meat to help the rolling pin not to stick.
- Once you have the meat mixture as thin as possible, score lines with a pizza cutter but make sure not to go all the way through.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the meat is browned.
- Turn off the heat and let sit in oven for 30 more minutes or until the crackers are crispy to your liking.
- Store in a seal container in the refrigerator.
For more low carb snacks check these out!