This easy zucchini lasagna soup is like eating gluten free lasagna in a bowl. Meat sauce, zucchini noodles and lots of cheesy goodness for a heart warming meal.
I’ve been wanting to make a lasagna soup for some time. I love lasagna and I have the best lasagna recipe around; my mom’s ultimate lasagna. However it takes time to make and sometimes I just want a quick fix. And then I saw a few zucchini lasagna recipes and thought why not make an easy zucchini lasagna soup. It was so very good with Italian sausage, marinara, zucchini ribbons and lots of cheese! I even added ricotta because I personally love ricotta. It was a hearty meal in a bowl.
I wish these pictures would have come out better. Part of the problem was that I was in a hurry to eat it. I know, what is wrong with me? I used buffalo mozzarella on top and a dollop of ricotta underneath so it wasn’t a very photogenic dish but it was really really tasty. Trust me. For the sauce I used Better than Bouillon, Trader Joes Tuscano Marinara sauce and Italian sweet sausage. You can substitute regular chicken or beef broth if you want and use any kind of marinara sauce you want. I love these two particular products so I use them often but it’s not necessary.
To make the sauce, I browned the sausage and then added the sauce and bouillon and cooked for a couple minutes. When that was done, I added the zucchini ribbons that I made with a regular vegetable peeler and let that cook for a minute or two. I didn’t want them to get soggy. Then I topped it with some ricotta (which is optional) and then slices of fresh mozzarella. I placed them under the broiler to melt the cheese but I’m thinking traditional mozzarella might have melted better. Either way it was like French onion soup but with an Italian twist. More like an Italian zucchini soup. 😉
Easy Zucchini Lasagna Soup
I don’t think this is an especially low carb dish but it is lower than if you used pasta noodles. It is however, delicious and gluten free. It also doesn’t take much time to make. This would be a great “soup for dinner” kind of meal. I hope you like this as much as I do and when I make it again, I’ll try to get better photos. Enjoy!
- 2½ Italian sausage links
- 28 oz can marinara sauce (I used Trader Joes Tuscano Marinara)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon ( or use 2 cups broth instead of the water and bouillon)
- 2 zucchini's made into noodles
- 4 oz buffalo mozzarella
- 4 Tablespoons whole milk ricotta
- Take the casings off the sausage and brown in a large soup pot.
- Add the marinara sauce and let cook for a minute or two.
- Then put in the bouillon and water. You can also use just 2 cups of broth instead.i like Better than Bouillon because it gives more flavor in my opinion but it's not necessary.
- Using a potato peeler, make zucchini ribbons lengthwise from each zucchini.
- Add them to the sauce/stock and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add a big serving in an oven safe bowl, cup or ramekin. Place a dollop of ricotta on top and then place some mozzarella on top and set under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
- This should make 4 large servings.