This spicy Mexican red lentils dish makes for a hearty, healthy meal. Spicy and comforting, this is the perfect vegetarian chili alternative. I’ve been craving lentils for quite a while now. I know that seems like a weird thing to crave but I really, really like them. However sometimes they are hard on my stomach and so I haven’t had them for a long time. And you know when you can’t have something you want it more. Or is that just me? Anyway I decided to give them a try again and OMG this was delicious! Even my hubby who doesn’t care for lentils thought it was really tasty. So if lentils are your friend, give this one a try.
Now let me tell you, this is spicy. Not necessarily hot spicy but rather spicy spicy. 😉 I like it this way, because then you can eat it with cool and creamy sour cream to counterbalance the spices. Yum! It is super simple and only takes about 25 minutes. To me it tastes very much like a vegetarian chili. I’ve made turkey chili and veggie chili in the past but I like this dish the best.Well this was just a quick little post for you today. After the success of this dish, I had a slew of lentil recipes I wanted to try but unfortunately I’m going to have to pace myself. I ate this for lunch and dinner and it was a bit too much for my belly. But don’t you worry, I will be making more. In the meantime I hope you give this a try because it was quite yummy. Enjoy!
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Add your olive oil and onions to a pot and cook until they are starting to brown.
- In the meantime rinse your lentils and set aside.
- When the onions start to brown, add the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro if using.
Spicy Mexican Red Lentils