Celebrate the season with this Spring Vegetable Soup with Shrimp. Using lemongrass, ginger and garlic for a savory broth and delicious Spring Vegetables.
Spring is here which means that I’m going away from hearty soups and headed toward cool salads. But it’s not very warm outside yet and so I thought I’m make a lighter soup with a savory lemongrass and ginger broth and use some of the vegetables that are in season now: asparagus, peas, broccoli, mushrooms, radishes, etc. And lastly, would shrimp go nice with those flavors?
I took a picture of the ingredients because are they so colorful. I’m trying to incorporate more colorful vegetables into our meals. As you can see I used peas, asparagus, mushrooms, radishes, sunchokes, carrots, broccoli and green onions and some cooked shrimp. I wanted this to be a kind of throw it all in a pot kind of soup.
This is rather a quick and easy soup to make. I didn’t even sauté the vegetables, but rather just added the broth first along with the lemongrass, garlic and ginger. I let that simmer for about 5 minutes and then added all the vegetables. When the vegetables were soft, I added the cooked shrimp and let it heat through about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and it was ready to eat.
You could use any vegetables you like. I really liked the vegetables I used but you can use whatever you have on hand or enjoy eating. This has a bit of an Asian flavor so maybe think of vegetables you would get in your favorite Thai or Chinese dishes. I hope to cook more with the seasons in upcoming posts and of course Spring and Summer offer a lot of variety for me to pick from. I hope you enjoy this Spring Vegetable Soup in celebration of Spring finally being here!
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon (optional)*
- 6 cups broth
- 1 Tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1 Tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 cups spring vegetables (peas, green onions, broccoli, asparagus, sunchokes, radishes, carrots, etc)
- ½ lb cooked shrimp
- salt and pepper
- Add your broth to a pot along with the lemongrass, garlic and ginger. If you are using the Better than Bouillon add it now.
- Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down so it simmers for 5 minutes.
- Add your vegetables and let them cook for 5 or so minutes until your vegetables are soft.
- Add the cooked shrimp and let them heat through a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and you are done.
- * I love the flavor of Better than Bouillon and now use it in all my soups. You don't need to use it if you don't have or like it.