Oh how I like Nutella…I could eat the whole jar. But as delicious as it is, it’s full of sugar and is more of a dessert than a healthy spread like they advertise. So I’ve seen a few similar recipes floating around and decided to try one with great results! Unfortunately I ate all of it in two days so I don’t think I should be making this for awhile as I can’t control myself. 😉
I adapted the recipe from Momables.com by substituting xylitol and almond milk and it goes a little something like this:
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 1½ Tablespoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup xylitol, orig. recipe calls for ¼ + c maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup almond milk
- Roast your sunflower seed in a non stick pan over medium high heat. Don't let them burn! Stir frequently and when starting to brown, take off the burner and let cool.
- Add sunflower seeds to a food processor or blender and mix tip starting to look like a nut butter. Make sure to stop and scrap down the sides every once in awhile.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix tip well combined. Store in container and keep refrigerated.
- I used a melon ball scoop and made a few balls and stuck in the freezer. It tasted like fudge!!! Hence the reason I ate so much of it in one sitting.