This spiced pumpkin protein matcha is the perfect energy drink to start your morning. Packed with protein, low in carb and an energizing boost with matcha green tea.This is a quick one for you today. Since the weather is getting colder, I’m not much in the mood for a cold smoothie and I’m not a huge breakfast fan. So I decided to make my morning matcha with added protein and some tasty pumpkin and spice. It was delicious. There is also some coconut oil for the bulletproof effect and I had hoped that the coconut oil would give me some extra energy throughout the morning along with adding creaminess to the drink.
So to make this yummy drink, you start by boiling your water and adding it to a high speed blender along with the following: pure pumpkin puree, coconut oil, matcha green tea, Great Lakes gelatin (for protein), ginger, cinnamon, allspice and sweetener of your choice. I used a vanilla stevia that I love.
Blend until it’s smooth and creamy and delicious. I think the ingredients make this not only tasty but they are also quite good for you:
- Matcha: matcha is full of antioxidants and gives you a boost of caffeine without the jitters. To read more about the benefits of matcha read this post.I buy all my matcha here.
- Pumpkin: pumpkin adds creaminess, taste, color and nutrition. It’s a good source of fiber, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin E, etc.
- Coconut Oil: this adds the creaminess too and gives this drink that bulletproof effect and helps stave off hunger. There are also lots of good things about coconut oil that you can read about in this article if you are interested.
- Protein: You can us a protein powder if you like but I just use Great Lakes Gelatin (green can) because the benefits of gelatin (skin health, gut health, digestion, metabolism, etc.) and adds protein and nothing else (11g per 2 T). It is also made from grass fed beef which I like. There are lots of articles about the benefits of gelatin and here is one on the 20 health benefits.
This is not only tasty, it has a good nutritional profile to start my morning. Only 2.9g of carbs and 11.3g of protein. So for me, this is a great way to start my morning. I hope it works for you too!
Per serving: 185 cal / 13.7 g fat / 2.9 g carbs / 11.3 g protein
Spiced Pumpkin Protein Matcha
- 8 oz boiling water
- 2 Tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon matcha green tea
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons Great Lakes Gelatin (green can or protein powder of your choice)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- sweetner to taste
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender (be careful of the hot water when blending).
Blend on high until for a 10 seconds.
Pour and enjoy!