These sausage stuffed eggplant bowls are as tasty as they are fun to eat. Velvety eggplant and spicy sausage topped with cheese.
I love eggplant. Nobody else in my family does so I don’t cook it unless I’m really craving it, which I was today. I think I’ve told you how I like to eat out of bowls, but this summer I had fun making zucchini bowls by hollowing out the middles and filling them with something good. Today I decided to get my eggplant fix and make these tasty sausage stuffed eggplant bowls. The velvety eggplant combined with the spicy sausage mixture and crusty cheese was absolute yumminess. Is that a word? Well it was.
My favorite flavor combination of eggplant usually involves moussaka flavors: cinnamon meat mixture, cheese, béchamel sauce. I’ve made my mom’s moussaka, and stuffed eggplant boats with cauliflower cream; both of which use the moussaka flavors. This time I went with more of an Italian theme and used hot Italian sausage and sun dried tomatoes.
These are very simple to make. As you can see above I only made two because I just had 1 eggplant. However they were two large portions. First slice them in two and cut the bottoms so they sit nicely on a cookie sheet. Using the large size of a melon ball scoop, scoop out the middle to make it hollow inside.
The filling is a mixture of Italian sausage, sun dried tomatoes, cauliflower rice, garlic and the eggplant you scooped out. Make sure the meat is just cooked through and the eggplant has softened. Then fill the eggplant bowls with the sausage mixture and top with a slice of provolone. After about 25 – 30 minutes they should be done. You want to make sure the eggplant is nice and soft inside.
sausage stuffed eggplant bowls
Make sure you get a fresh eggplant or sometimes the skin gets tough. These were delicious and the perfect lunch for me. Next time I’m going to make them more of a moussaka cup! These were not all that low carb but they were not high carb either. There were approximately 11g net carbs per bowl. If you are an eggplant lover, I think you are going to love these. Enjoy!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 3 Italian sausage links with casings off
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- ¼ cup chopped sundries tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Cut the eggplant in half and then cut the two ends so the eggplant can stand nicely on a cookie sheet.
- Using a melon ball scoop, scoop out the insides and sed aside.
- In a large saute pan, add the oil and sausage and try to crumble into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, cauliflower, garlic, salt, pepper, and the insides of the eggplant.
- Saute mixture until meat is just cooked and the eggplant has softened, 10 minutes.
- Stuff the eggplant with the meat mixture and top with a slice of cheese.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes until the eggplant is nice and soft.
- Serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
More meat stuffed vegetables to try!