This low carb chicken broccoli casserole uses a cauliflower cream sauce for a healthier dish. This comforting casserole is tasty and easy to make. Only 5.4g net carbs per serving.
As I’m getting older I enjoy casseroles more and more. It’s not something I grew up on but I do enjoy the warmth and comfort of a good casserole. I made this dish over a year ago but I didn’t write down the recipe. So today I decided to recreate it and I came up with this low carb chicken broccoli casserole that uses a cauliflower cream sauce to add more vegetables and cut down on the cheese and cream. (Though I had to use cheese on the top!)
I think everyone is familiar with cauliflower as a cream sauce these days, but incase you aren’t here is how you make it. I like to add florets to a pan and just about cover with water. Then when the cauliflower is fork tender, I drain and reserve the cooking liquid. The cauliflower goes into a high speed blender along with some olive oil and spices (like nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor) and you blend on high until it’s smooth and creamy. If it’s too thick you then add the reserved cooking liquid a bit at a time. Above is an old photo I took for my Paleo Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
The rest of the recipe is fairly simple. I microwaved the broccoli in the microwave for 4 minutes because everything else in the dish is cooked. So once that is done, just mix it with the chopped, cooked chicken and cauliflower cream sauce. Top with cheddar cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
Low Carb Chicken Broccoli Casserole
This is a very comforting and yummy low carb meal. I think originally I went a step further and added cauliflower rice to the dish but that would increase the carb count. This dish however has the follow nutritional information for 1 serving:
283 cals / 13.9g fat / 9.2g carbs / 3.8g fiber / 31.7g protein = 5.4g net carbs
I hope you like this dish as much as I did and if you have any questions, just leave me a comment. Enjoy!
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1½ cups chicken breasts (cooked and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a pot, add the cauliflower and just about cover florets with water.
- Cook until the cauliflower can be pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile microwave the broccoli for 4 minutes.
- Add broccoli and chicken to a large bowl.
- When the cauliflower is done, strain but save the water in case your sauce is too thick.
- Add the cauliflower, olive oil, nutritional yeast and spices to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. You may need to add a bit of the cooking water to thin it out. You want it to be the consistency of a sauce and not mashed potatoes.
- Mix the cauliflower cream with the chicken and broccoli and spoon into a baking dish.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
More dishes with cauliflower cream!