This easy Greek chicken salad is filled with tasty Mediterranean goodies and topped with chicken kebabs. Serve with pita bread for a light but tasty dinner.
I’ve been on a Greek salad kick. I love the combination of briny olives, crunchy vegetables, salty feta dressed in a simple dressing and topped with gyro meat. Yum! However I haven’t figured out how to make gyro meat yet. I’ve made gyro meatballs that come close but someday (soon) I’m going to figure out how to make the meat. In the meantime I decide to make this Greek chicken salad with marinated chicken kebabs. My hubby and I ate this for dinner the other day and it was wonderful.
Let’s get cooking. To make the marinade you mix lemon juice and zest with olive oil, garlic and spices. Pour over cut pieces of chicken and place in a ziplock bag. I made this in the morning to eat that night. I would let it marinate for at least 4 hours. When it’s time to eat, place the chicken pieces on skewers and grill until they are cooked through (about 10-20 minutes).
While they are cooking make your salad. I really recommend the following for your salad but you can take or leave what you like from this list: romaine, red onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, kalamata olives, green peppers. Whisk together the simple dressing and toss your salad. I topped mine with the big pieces of feta because I prefer it but you can use crumbled of course. Then place your chicken on top and your pita slices (if using) around the sides. That’s it. Now it’s time to dig in.
Easy Greek Chicken Salad
This is a nice low carb dinner if you nix the bread and it’s Paleo if you nix the cheese too. I love the feta though but I could do without the bread. I hope you like this as much as my hubby and I did. I’ve been eating it at least once a week. I had it last night without the chicken. So until I figure out how to make that gyro meat, I hope you enjoy this tasty Greek chicken salad.
Some of my other favorite low carb salads.
- 1 lb chicken, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- zest of ½ lemon
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups sliced vegetables (radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, red onions)
- 1 cup Kalamata olives,
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 pita bread cut into pieces
- ¼ olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ t oregano
- ½ t thyme
- ¼ t salt
- ½ dijon
- ¼ t pepper
- Cut up your chicken and add to a ziplock bag.
- Combine the marinade ingredients of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Whisk well and pour over the chicken and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- In a large salad bowl add your lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, green peppers, red onions and kalamata olives to make a big salad.
- To make the dressing In a smaller bowl combine the dressing ingredients.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and then top with the feta cheese.
- To cook the chicken, skewer the chicken pieces and grill for about 10 - 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Top salad with the chicken pieces and slices of pita if using.