My Lebanese father didn’t cook many things in his lifetime. Fortunately for him my mother was a fabulous cook and learned how to cook all his favorite dishes. Sadly she died at 63 and it was a few years after, that he decided to learn a few Lebanese dishes too. He mastered a dish called kanafi which was a savory sweet dessert involving shredded phyllo dough, a mild cheese and a sweet syrup with a hint of rose water. Growing up I never cared for it but as I got older I realized it was quite delicious. He only made it on New Year’s Eve and now we never have it. 🙁 I’ve been craving it lately and that is where I got the inspiration for this dish … cheese waffles with sweet, roasted apples and pears and a drizzle of honey. Delicious!
It was really quite easy. Start with roasting apples and pears with some butter and coconut sugar. You can use brown sugar if you don’t have coconut sugar. I make this recipe all the time, (Roasted Apples & Pears with Coconut Sugar). It tastes great on it’s own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. But today we are using it to top our waffles.
While the fruit is roasting, make the waffles. I mixed some riced cauliflower, mozzarella cheese and egg to make a simple grain and nut free waffle. The cauliflower gives it some bulk and doesn’t have any taste really. I could eat the waffles straight up to be honest. They are crispy and cheesy and so good!
Now you just top your waffles with the roasted fruit and drizzled some honey over it. No it’s not kanafi but the taste combination does remind me of it. I know my dad would like this dish were he still around and I think of him every time I make it. Someday I’ll tackle the real thing. Maybe on New Year’s Eve. Enjoy!
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 pear, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup riced cauliflower (or can use shredded apple)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Mozzarella shredded
- honey to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the apples, pears, butter and coconut sugar in a baking dish and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until nice and brown and bubbly.
- In the meantime about 5 minutes before your fruit is done, mix your egg, cheese and cauliflower or shredded apple.
- Add mixture to your waffle iron and cook until nice and brown.
- When fruit is finished roasting, top your waffles with the fruit and then drizzle honey over top.