Did you ever have a fridge full of beautiful veggies and not know what to do with them? Well I have a tasty and healthy recipe for you. Maybe it’s because spring is around the corner or my body really needs some vitamins and minerals but I was craving a fresh, spring salad when this idea just came to me. So I pulled out my spiralizer and went to work.
As you can see I had quite a variety in my fridge. I used carrots, radishes, red cabbage, asparagus, yellow and red peppers and a yellow squash. Aren’t the colors so pretty! I ended up adding some cauliflower too as I had a lot of it and because I love marinated cauliflower. I used the spiralizer on the cabbage, carrots and squash and just hand cut the rest.
Next I made my dressing. I used the juice of 4 small lemons (1/2 cup) and about 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. The zest really gives it that lemony, bright flavor. I also used olive oil, oregano, garlic and salt. Whisked like the wind and then mixed it into my veggies. I let it sit over night so it would soften the vegetables.
As you can see, I garnished with some cilantro since I also had a lot of that, but parley would go very nice here or even basil. Then again it doesn’t need it if you don’t have any fresh herbs. So you could eat these veggies as a salad or you could use them as a slaw on fish tacos or a sandwich.
I happened to also have some leftover quinoa and decided to mix it together with the salad. It was fantastic! The second bowl (yes I ate two bowls) I added crumbled blue cheese and Greek olives. There are so many things you could add to this salad: sun-dried tomatoes, feta, blue cheese, toasted nuts or seeds, olives, shrimp, chicken, rice, etc. I think I will be making this a lot this spring.
So this was my quick and easy Lemony Marinated Vegetable Salad with Quinoa. If you have a lot of veggies taking up space in your refrigerator try this one out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Enjoy!
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 4 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cups of chopped, fresh vegetables (pick crunchier hearty vegetables that will hold up to the marinade)
- 2 - 3 cups cooked quinoa
- chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish (optional)
- Make your quinoa and let cool.
- Chop your vegetables and add to a large bowl. Choose from cabbages, yellow squash, carrots, radishes, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, etc.
- In a separate bowl mix your lemon juice, zest, olive oil, garlic, oregano and salt. Whisk well.
- Toss your veggies with the dressing and refrigerate over night.
- Then next day mix your quinoa with your marinated vegetables and let set in the refrigerator for an hour.
- You can also eat the veggies without the quinoa as a salad or on top of a sandwich as a slaw.
- Top with chopped cilantro, parsley or basil if you wish.
- Other possible add in depending on your taste are: feta cheese, greek olives, blue cheese, roasted nuts, chicken, shrimp, pasta, rice, and so on.