These low carb buffalo breakfast stuffed hatch chile peppers make for a delicious change from your standard eggs and bacon. A bit of spice along with cheese, chiles and bacon and you’ve got a low carb breakfast you can eat with your hands! Only 4.6g net carbs!
My husband grows a lot of peppers every summer. Everything from shishitos to habaneros, but he’s never grown hatch chiles. I’ve heard alot about them so when I saw them at Trader Joes I decided to give them a try and made these low carb buffalo breakfast stuffed hatch chile peppers. My husband was not happy about me buying them but we did a taste test and here is what he thought.
What are hatch Chile peppers?
Hatch chile peppers actually come from Hatch, New Mexico. They are very similar to Anaheim peppers and have a combination of sweet and hot flavor. You can read more about them here.
I personally was not overly impressed because my husband has been giving me such wonderful peppers this summer. I honestly could not see a difference from Anaheim peppers and since I get those free, I will stick with them. Below are the hatch chiles from Trader Joes.
Buffalo Breakfast Stuffed Hatch Chiles Recipe
Let’s start with the peppers. First cut a (T) in each pepper so they will be easier to stuff. Then clean them out and blanch them in boiling water for about 8. minutes. In the meantime make the egg mixture.
Below you can see the egg mixture which is basically scrambled eggs with cooked bacon, hot sauce and cheddar cheese. Once the chiles are cool enough to touch, stuff them with the egg mixture. Then top them with more cheese and sprinkle bacon after they are cooked.
Some notes about this hatch chile peppers recipe
- I only used 2 tablespoons of hot sauce because I didn’t want them too hot. However I wish I added more but it was easy to just add a little more on top once they were done.
- I used 4 pieces of bacon because I love bacon. You can use more or less and it won’t affect the carb count.
- The hatch peppers have a tough skin, that is why I blanched them before hand. However you could also take off the skin as you would a bell pepper by charring it and pealing off the skin. I’m too lazy to do that. 😉
- These stuffed hatch peppers are easy enough to eat with your fingers. As you can see if you scroll down that is how I ate them.
- Lastly these are pretty big and one would be enough for breakfast. So you can have 4 breakfast servings with this recipe.
I was able to eat these with my hand. However you might want to be a more civilized person and use a fork. 🙂
Well I hope you enjoyed these as much as I did. I LOVED them, however I will stick with Anaheims as they are easier for me to get. The nutrition for 1 stuffed hatch pepper is:
277 cals / 20.7g fat / 4.6g carbs / 16.6g protein
Buffalo Breakfast Stuffed Hatch Chile Peppers
These low carb buffalo breakfast stuffed hatch chile peppers make for a delicious change from your standard eggs and bacon. A bit of spice along with cheese, chiles and bacon and you've got a low carb breakfast you can eat with your hands! Only 4.6g net carbs!
- 4 hatch chiles
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
- 4 pieces baon, cooked and crumbled
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
Take each pepper and cut a T into it. Clean out the seeds and then place in boiling water for 8 minutes. Take out of the water add place into a large bowl with ice and water to blanch.
While the peppers and boiling, beat eggs and cream together. Then add in the hot sauce and mozzarella and whisk again.
Add eggs to a non stick pan and make the scrambled eggs. Mix in half of the bacon pieces and let cool.
Stuff the blanched peppers with the egg mixture and then top with cheddar cheese.
Bake in oven for 20 minutes. When done, sprinkle remaining bacon on top.
Add this recipe to your Mix!