This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #GrillNGear
These grilled banana split kebabs are a fun dessert and perfect for a summer impromptu dinner with family and friends. Just add a scoop of ice cream and a bit of chocolate sauce and you are good to go!
My hubby and his friend built a big porch on the back of our house and it’s very nice. You can look out over the pool and the beautiful green hillside. However every summer he wants to invite friends or family over for an impromptu dinner just so we can eat and drink on his porch.That’s all fine but I’m the one who has to shuffle around to find something to serve just hours before people come. So for today’s impromptu dinner I’ve made for you a fun little dessert; grilled banana split kebabs. I’ve always wanted to grill fruit plus it gets my hubby in on the cooking!
I headed off to Giant Eagle to gather all my last minute items. They have already prepared Certified Angus Beef Gourmet Bacon Cheddar Burgers which would be perfect and I was able to buy everything else there to get the party started.
my shortcuts for this impromptu dinner party:
- For the drinks: I bought Pure Leaf bottled tea, Lemon Lemon Sparkling Lemonade and Izzy Fusions to make some light, refreshing drinks for my guests. I just added a bit of fruit and that’s it.
- For the main dish: I bought Certified Angus Beef Gourmet Bacon Cheddar Burgers and then added a quick and easy spicy aioli sauce. See the recipe below.
- For a side dish: I bought a pasta salad at the deli and added fresh herbs. You can also try adding bacon and chives to potato salad.
- For dessert: I made these easy fruit kebabs and topped them with Breyers Extra Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream and chocolate sauce. Also I couldn’t resist buying Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies to make ice cream sandwiches for my son. (Every summer my whole family goes to the beach and my sister makes them for him.) So I made a few and kept them in the freezer for dessert too.
Grilled Banana Split Kebabs
Now let’s get to making the grilled fruit kebabs. I used pineapple, strawberries and bananas because they are what is traditionally in a banana split. I mixed a little oil and honey and brushed it on the kebabs to get a caramelization on the fruit.
Once you’ve grilled the fruit, place them on a platter for your friends to make their own sundaes.
I like to keep the fruit on the bottom so the ice cream melts over it and then top with chocolate sauce. But you can make your sundae anyway you like.
Bacon Cheddar Burgers with Spicy Horseradish aioli
And here are the Certified Angus Beef Gourmet Bacon Cheddar Burgers with spicy horseradish aioli. These were some of the best burgers I’ve ever had. I ate mine without the bun because the aioli was delicious and low carb as was the burger. I’m going buy some more and store them in the freezer! By the way I also have a jalapeño aioli recipe and a buffalo aioli recipe that would go great with these burgers. The spicy horseradish recipe is:
1/2 cup Hellmann’s mayo + 1 tablespoon horseradish + 1 crushed clove of garlic
Fruity Summer Drink Recipe
And here is what I used for my drinks starting with Pure Leaf unsweetened green tea. I used 1 part green tea, 2 parts of either the Lemon Lemon Sparkling Lemonade (blackberry) or Izzy Fusions (lemon lime). I used lemons, limes and blackberries as well. My son really liked the green tea and blackberry lemonade drink.
1 part tea + 2 parts lemonade drinks + fruit of your choice
Well I hope you give this grilled banana split kebab a try. It is super easy and fun for the summer. Head out to Giant Eagle and get all you need for your next summer grilling party. You can find lots of inspiration and recipes here.
Do you have any summer party or grilling short cuts?
Drop me a line and let me know. I’m sure I’m going to need them! Oh and don’t forget those ice cream cookie sandwiches waiting in the freezer! Buy some Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies and Breyers Extra Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream. Let the ice cream soften a bit to make your sandwiches and then wrap them in plastic wrap. They need to freeze for a couple of hours. Yum!
- 12 strawberries, sliced in half
- 1 pineapple, cut into pieces
- 3 bananas, thick slices.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Breyers Extra Creamy Vanilla ice cream
- chocolate sauce
- Whisk the honey and oil in a small bowl. Make sure it's well mixed.
- Thread the fruit on to wooden skewers and place on a platter.
- Brush the honey mixture on both sides of the skewers.
- Grill on low until the fruit has cooked to your liking.
- Place fruit on a plate and eat as is or top with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.
More great grilling recipes!