This chunky beef chili without beans is super easy in the Instant Pot but can also be made in the slow cooker. A great dish for those on a Paleo diet or for those who can’t tolerate beans.
I really love chili but I don’t always love the beans. Actually they don’t always love me and give me a stomachache … sometimes. Well recently I wasn’t feeling the beans and decided to make this chunky beef chili without beans and make it in the Instant Pot. You could easily make this in the slow cooker too, if you don’t have an Instant Pot. The result was a thick, spicy stew-like chili that tastes great as is or even over a bowl of rice if you prefer.
I already have my mom’s turkey chili and a vegetarian chili recipe on this blog so this is probably my last chili post! The nice thing about making this in the Instant Pot is that it was so easy and only took about an hour. I used mushrooms and lots of peppers to give it extra bulk. You could also try some sweet potatoes or other starchy veggie if you miss the beans, but we did not.
To make this chili, you start by browning the meat in the Instant Pot using the saute function. Then you add some beef broth and pressure cook for 2o minutes. This makes the meat melt in your mouth! Then with a quick pressure release, you add in your veggies, tomato products and spices. Mix well and pressure cook for 5 more minutes and that’s it. In my opinion the Instant Pot is the way to go if your want that fall apart meat effect but don’t have all day for a slow cooker.
chunky beef chili without beans
I ate this as is but my hubby and son ate it over rice. That is how we usually eat our chili but I was watching the carbs as usual. You can top with any toppings you normally use. We tried some avocado and it seemed just right but try cilantro, sour cream, cheese whatever floats your boat. To make this in the slow cooker you could brown the meat on the stove and then add everything to the slow cooker, but you could also skip that step if you don’t have the time. I hope you enjoy this bean-less chili and for more stew type dishes check these out!
More Stew type recipes to try!
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 lbs of beef chuck roast, cut into big cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 8 oz of baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoons of onion powder
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot and adjust heat to high.
- Add oil to the pan and let heat up.
- Add the meat and let it brown.
- When browned, add broth and secure the lid of the pot. Turn the quick release button to the back to create pressure.
- Press the manual button for 20 minutes. When finish, use the quick release method to release pressure.
- Take off lid and add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Secure lid again and turn the quick release button to the back. Press manual button for 5 minutes.
- Let the pressure come down naturally if you can.
- To cook in the slow cooker, you can brown the meat on the stove and then set everything in the slow cooker. Mix well and cook on low for 8 hours.