These buffalo chicken stuffed chiles are a delicious low carb appetizer or dinner. Tastes like you are cheating but you’re not!
We had a ton of peppers in our garden this summer. My husband was quite please with himself as he is the gardener in the family. We had a really good crop of Anaheim chiles so I stuffed them as an appetizer for a recent party. My husband really liked them and asked me to make them again so I thought I’d put these buffalo chicken stuffed chiles on the blog. You can eat them either as an appetizer or for dinner if you like. It’s a delicious low carb dish that everyone will love.
I’m a fan of all things buffalo. On the blog I have buffalo chicken quinoa skillet, blue cheese stuffed buffalo chicken meatballs, pumpkin fries with buffalo aioli and buffalo chicken stuffed wontons. That’s a lot of buffalo sauce. (See pics below for these dishes.)
We used Anaheim chiles but you can use poblano or banana peppers or whatever you like. The added heat of the pepper works for us. Make sure you clean out the seeds and ribs in the peppers as that’s where the heat comes from. Many people char the peppers and then peel the skin, but I’ve been blanching the chiles in boiling water for 4 minutes and that seems to work well. They are very soft after you bake them and it’s less mess. To make the stuffing, I used cooked chicken, mayo, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and garlic. You just stuff the blanched chiles and then sprinkle a bit of cheddar on top (optional) and the bake for 30 minutes.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Chiles
I hope you enjoy this low carb stuffed pepper appetizer or meal. It’s a real hit in our house and it’s super easy to make. The nutrition was a bit difficult to calculate because I couldn’t find good information on Anaheims. So the approximate nutrition for each pepper is as follows:
246 cals / 17.4g fat / 4.2g carbs / 15.9g protein
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 large Anaheim chiles*
- ¼ cheddar cheese, shredded for on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except chiles and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut off stems and clean out the seeds and ribs of the chiles. The ribs hold most of the heat so clean them well if you want to cut some of the heat.
- Blanch the chiles by plunging them into the boiling water for 4 minutes and then place them in a large bowl of ice water.
- Dry the chiles and then stuff them with the chicken mixture.
- Place on a baking dish and sprinkle more cheddar cheese if you want though it's not necessary.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes and then serve.
- *The stuffing will fill about 10 large chiles or more smaller ones.
More buffalo chicken themed dishes