This tomato bacon French toast is a savory change from the usual sweet French toast. A nice and easy dish for breakfast or lunch. I learned about savory French toast from my mother in law, Penny. She was the daughter of Italian immigrants and had many interesting recipes to share with me over the years. One such recipe was her polenta with chicken and French toast with stewed tomatoes. I don’t eat French toast much because the bread and the sugar just make me want to take a nap. I love it but it doesn’t love me. This dish however if very comforting to me. It’s more of a meal to me than a dessert if you know what I mean. While Penny used to put stewed tomatoes on her French toast, I changed it up a bit and roasted some tomatoes and added bacon. You all know how I feel about bacon. 🙂
I like sautéed grape or cherry tomatoes. They have so much flavor that with a little garlic and spices, I could eat them on their own they are so good. So when you add them to any dish, it’s always going to be a winner in my opinion. I’ve used them with my Paleo meatballs, in my pepperoni pizza cups, and recently in my lemon zucchini noodles. They really are a simple way to add flavor to a dish. So you make this much like you do traditional French toast, by dipping your bread in an egg batter and frying them in a skillet. At the same time you can sauté your tomatoes and spices in some olive oil. They will done almost at the same time. Take your bread and top it with the tomatoes and then crumble some bacon on top. I also sprinkled some grated cheese on top.
Tomato Bacon French Toast
And there you have a savory option for your morning French toast. Or you can eat this for a quick and easy lunch. Either way I think you are going to enjoy this tomato bacon French toast.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 piece of bacon, cooked
- 2 pieces of bread
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Romano cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a skillet, add your oil and heat over medium.
- Add your tomato, garlic and spices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper too.
- Saute for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes start to wilt.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- In a large shallow bowl, beat your egg and cream.
- Dip a piece of bread in the egg mixture to coat both sides.
- Add to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Repeat dipping the bread and cooking it with the other piece of bread.
- Add bread to a plate and top with tomato mixture.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Lastly sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese if using.