I have a little love affair going with Ritz crackers. I can’t even buy them anymore because I won’t stop eating them. I don’t really know why but I think it’s the crunchy, salty, buttery flavor that knocks me out. My friend Lisa told me once how she puts a bit of ice cream between two Ritz crackers and freezes them to make a little ice cream sandwich. That was probably when I realized that they taste great in sweet treats. I made those ice cream sandwiches and also used them in my pudding parfaits in this old post. And today I made some chocolate covered peanut butter sandwiches. Yum, yum, yum. They taste a bit like those Girl Scout cookies… tagalongs…but better in my opinion. But they are dangerous for while Tagalongs come around only once a year, you can make these anytime you want them.
These are insanely easy to make but trust me that doesn’t mean they aren’t delicious. They are tasty and they make nice little accent items for cookie trays. The best part is that all you need is some peanut butter, Ritz crackers, chocolate chips, sprinkles and about 10 minutes and you can have a couple dozen of these suckers.
So here we go. Melt the chocolate in a pyrex dish in the microwave. It only takes like a minute or two. In the meantime start making your peanut butter cracker sandwiches. When the chocolate is ready, coat your peanut butter sandwiches and let them dry on a piece of wax paper. Add some sprinkles for the finishing touch. That’s all folks. Easy peasy lemon squeezey.
You can make these ahead of time and freeze them for later. That’s what I did. I also took the precaution of making up my candy boxes and freezing the whole thing so I wouldn’t eat them before Christmas. Luckily I didn’t have to put a lock on them to keep me from sneaking a few here and there.
So if you need a little treat for your holiday celebration or for your homemade gifts, give this one a try and enjoy all that salty, buttery, sweet and crunchy goodness.
- Note: I didn't put any amounts because this is pretty straight forward and you can make as many as your like with a box of crackers, a jar of peanut butter and a bag of chocolate chips.
- 1 box Ritz crackers
- 1 jar peanut butter
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- In a pyrex dish, melt your chocolate chips in the microwave. Cook them for 30 minute increments until most of the chocolate chips are melt. Take it out and stir and the chips will continue to melt. You don't want to over cook them.
- In the meantime add a bit of peanut butter between to Ritz crackers to make sandwiches.
- Dip and cover them with the melted chocolate and place on a piece of wax paper.
- Quickly add sprinkles while the chocolate is wet.
- Let them dry fully before handling.
- Freeze for later if you wish.