Not only are these bacon pretzel chocolate chip cookies the BEST chocolate chip cookies, but they have bacon and pretzel pieces too! I rest my case. 😉
I wanted to call these chocolate chip cookies, PMS cookies but I didn’t want to offend anyone. Let me first say that my sister-in-law Gayle makes the best chocolate chip cookies ever and she gave me her recipe which I based these on. I’m not kidding they are wonderful. I don’t often make chocolate chip cookies or any cookies for that matter because I will eat all of them. I have no restraint and I love, love, love cookies. On this particular day I knew I had to bring something to my book club and I was jonesin’ for salty and sweet and thought “hey, I’ll put all my favorites in a cookie….Gayle’s cookies”, and a star was born – bacon pretzel chocolate chip cookies!
Well I made these little lovely cookies and my son LOVED them. He will eat practically anything with bacon in it, but add it to a cookie and now you’ve really got his attention. I dutifully put a bunch in the freezer for my book club. I didn’t want the temptation. But when book club was canceled, well I could have left them in the freezer for next month. But I didn’t. I ended up eating most of them until I had to give some away so I wouldn’t eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner. <sigh> That is why I don’t bake. I have no control.
Onto our cookie recipe. It’s basically the recipe on the back of Nestle’s Toll House Chocolate Chips bag. The only difference is replacing half of the butter with butter flavored Crisco.
Instead of the one cup of nuts, I added a half cup of broken pretzel pieces and a half cup of crumbled cooked bacon.
As you can see they are lovely and delicious looking and I may never make them again because they are so good. Some notes: if you want more pretzels/crunch in your cookie add a bit more pretzels. I think the 1/2 cup of bacon is plenty but if you want more bacon go for it. I would just make sure to add a few bits to the top of each cookie to make sure each cookie has some bacon in it.
Bacon Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
And that my friends is my PMS cookie. As I said I probably won’t make them again. Except I do have a cookie exchange coming up in a week or so. So maybe just one more time. That’s it. I promise. 😉 Enjoy! (And thank you Gayle for sharing your recipe! I still can’t make them as pretty as you do.)
- 2¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup butter flavored Crisco
- ¾ granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ½ cup pretzels pieces (add more if you want them crunchier)
- ½ cup cooked bacon broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda.
- With your mixer cream your butter, Crisco, sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until creamy.
- Slowly add your flour mixture until everything is well combined. May have to scrap down the sides to get everything mixed.
- Take your bowl out of the mixer and add your chips and pretzels and stir by hand to incorporate.
- Add ½ of the bacon bits and fold into mixture.
- Place your cookies on a cookie sheet (not greased) and add few bacon bits on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes depending on the size of your cookies.
- Check for doneness and desired color.
- Let cool and server or store in an airtight container.
- Can also freeze for a later date.