My lunch today (MLT) is a low carb, spinach and cheese waffle. Actually it’s more like an omelet in a waffle form and it was FANTASTIC! Really it was. I’ve been meaning to try this for some time now… that is making savory waffles. These waffles were so good I ate 2 of them. I know I shouldn’t have but they really were good.
I got the recipe from YourLighterSide.com and just did a little improvising and which I encourage you to do also. The basic thing here is the eggs and cheese. I personally would not skip the cheese as I suspect this is where most of the flavor came from but I’m sure you could use a sharper cheese and therefor use less. Also it would be easy to substitute the veggies and seasonings for different tastes.
- ½ cup raw cauliflower chopped finely, I used my food processor
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach
- ½ cup mozarella cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup parmesean cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- Heat up waffle iron and melt 2 T of butter.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients. Make sure to add the eggs last and that they are well beaten. (If you are defrosting the spinach, make sure you squeeze out as much water as you can before adding to rest of the ingredients.
- Add half of the butter to the mixture and use the other half to butter the waffle iron. You can use coconut oil or olive oil if you prefer. Mix well.
- Add half of the mixture to the waffle iron and try not to open til it is nice and crispy. My waffle iron turns green when the waffle is ready but I had to take it out before then. This recipe makes 2 waffles.