My lunch today (MLT) is a satisfying low carb pepperoni pizza.
I like pizza as much as the next girl but I’ve been pretty good about giving it up. However since this is Max’s favorite food (pepperoni pizza) and we order pizza often, I recently became overwhelmed with desire and felt I had to find a substitute for myself.
It all started with a Paleo Bread recipe I found and loved. It’s not something my husband or son would eat but I liked it. One day I added a bit of sauce, cheese and pepperoni and pleasantly surprised how delicious it was. So from there I was on a mission.
My next attempt was I Breathe I’m Hungry.com’s Flaxseed Pizza Crust . It was much like the Flax Crackers I make. However, today I decided to try her other recipe (Low Carb & Gluten Free Pizza Crust) which she suggests is better and uses less flax. I’m not sure which I like better. Possibly the flaxseed alone as it was easier and just as tasty to me. But this was also quite delicious. The pics aren’t the best. I was using turkey pepperoni as that was all I had on hand and didn’t cook right. But I was desperate for some pizza.
I find that this crust was a bit dry but very good. Also it is VERY filling. I ate half of the pizza and was stuffed. Stuffed. Note: Please scroll down to the end of the post for the recipe. Melissa’s nutritional info for half the crust is as follows:
- ½ cup flax meal
- ½ cup grated Roman cheese
- ¼ cup hemp seed
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs and crushed garlic.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and form into a dough.
- Spread thinly on a well greased cookie sheet with your hands.
- Cook in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes.
- Add desired toppings and put back in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is starting to brown and looks to your liking.