These slow cooker pork carnitas lettuce wraps are a great low carb dinner that take minutes to make. Get the slow cooker ready the night before and have diner on the table in 5 minutes!
So I bought a meat grinder. Don’t ask me why, I’ll explain that in another post. Anyway I bought a pork roast and only used a bit of it so I decided to try and make these slow cooker pork carnitas lettuce wraps. Gosh they were great! It’s such a light yet substantial dinner and best of all it takes no time at all. My husband said he would love to eat this again. It’s perfect for a summer meal.
I forget to make lettuce wraps. I love them when I got to PF Changs but never make them home. Plus I always think that they should be Asian but really they can work with any kind of meat. The pork carnitas are very similar to my zesty garlic pork roast that I made a long time ago. The difference is the addition of orange juice. It gives it a bit of brightness.
I prepared the roast the night before by cutting slits in it and putting slivers of garlic in the holes. Then I made a paste of the lime, salt, oregano and cumin. Just slather the paste all over the roast and place in a large ziplock. Refrigerate overnight and then the next day, you can cook it all day in the slow cooker. On a side note I have been using Real Salt a lot lately. It’s unrefined and additive free. I even use it in my neti pot!
Slow Cooker Pork carnitas lettuce wraps
This recipe is great in that when you are ready for dinner, all you have to do is grab some garnishes and lettuce leaves and you are ready to go. These were very filling but cool and refreshing too. My son ate them with cheese on a flour tortilla but my hubby and I enjoyed them as shown above. I hope you enjoy this low carb and Paleo dinner.
- 3lb pork shoulder roast
- 5 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 1 tablespoon salt
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- juice of 1 orange
- lettuce leaves
- The night before, make slits in the roast and shove a piece of garlic in, all around the roast.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, oregano, lime zest, cumin and lime juice to make a paste.
- Spread all around the roast and refrigerate over night.
- Then next morning pour the orange juice in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place roast in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When finished, take off lid and shred pork with two forks. Let mix with juices.
- Place of lettuce leaves and garnish with avocado, cilantro, jalapeño and radish. Can use any garnish you like.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
More easy slow cooker dinners!