These low carb barbecue rib burgers are perfect for a summer dinner on the grill. A beef and pork burger rubbed with lots of spices and topped with a delicious low carb barbecue sauce.
This week on Sunday Supper we are celebrating summer grilling. We seem to grill the same things every year so I’m trying to mix it up a bit this summer. I made an apricot orange grilled seafood kebab a few weeks ago and I have a few more recipes coming up but today I wanted to make barbecue rib burgers. That is a burger that had all the taste of a rack of ribs but in burger form. I thought it would be an easier way to get that barbecue rib taste without all the work.
I had such a hard time with this recipe. My poor family had to eat some sort of barbecue for days but they didn’t complain. To make these burgers I first tried to grinding a pork shoulder roast and even bought a meat grinder! But it was too fatty and spongy so on to plan B. Then I made the ribs and took out the bones but that was more like a sandwich (see below) and not a burger.
Plan B: Boneless Rib Sandwich
Even though this was an experiment, it came out good. I rubbed small portions of ribs (about 2-3 ribs) with the spices and cooked in the Instant Pot for 30 minutes. When they cooled I could pull out the bones and the meat was still intact. Then I just slathered some sauce on top and finished on the grill. It was more of a rib sandwich rather than a burger so I nixed it. But it very tasty so I thought I’d include it here.
So finally I settled on a mixture of beef and pork and cooked it like I would ribs. I mixed all of my spices in with the meat and cooked them on the grill. Ah sweet success, but now I had to make the low carb barbecue sauce which turned out to be rather easy and very tasty!
Barbecue Rib Burgers with Low Carb Sauce
So this is the tale of my barbecue rib burger. I ate it with a lettuce wrapper and some creamy southwest coleslaw for a low carb meal but my family used buns and loved them. Even the leftover burgers were delicious without the sauce and on top of a salad. I hope you give this one a try and please check out my friends from Sunday Supper’s recipes below. Thank you Christie from Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting and here is the nutrition for 1 tablespoon of sauce is:
24 cals / 1.8g fat / 3.4g carbs / 2.0g fiber / 0.2g protein = 1.4g net carbs
Barbecue Rib Burgers with Low Carb Sauce #SundaySupper
- 1/2 lb of pork ground
- 1/2 lb beef ground
- Dry Rub
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic cloves crushed
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Swerve
- 1 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
Using a small pan add your butter until melted. Mix in the rest of the sauce ingredients and whisk well to combine.
Let simmer for 5 minutes and then set aside to cool. You can make this the day before and refrigerate as it tastes even better the next day.
In a small bowl, add all the ingredients for the dry rub and mix together.
In a large bowl add the meat and dry rub spices. Mix the spices into the meat so it is uniform.
Grill about 5 minutes per side for each burger.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
More great grilling recipes to try!
Sunday Supper Easy BBQ Recipes
Best Burgers and Sandwiches
- Barbecue Rib Burgers with Low Carb Sauce by My Life Cookbook
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken Burgers by Simple and Savory
- Guava-Ale BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich by Gourmet Everyday
- Turkapple Burgers with Yumback Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Grill Master Mains
- Grilled Red Snapper with Cilantro and Onion Stuffing by Food Lust People Love
- Honey Glazed Chicken Kabobs by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Homemade Coleslaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Spicy Grilled Leg of Lamb by Sunday Supper Movement
Mop Worthy Sauces
- Blueberry Sriracha Barbecue Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade “End of Season” Ketchup by What Smells So Good?
Searing Starters and Sides
- Campfire Corn and Tomatoes by Cricket’s Confections
- Grilled Lime Beer Ritas with Smoky Lime Salt by Our Good Life
- Honey Chipotle BBQ Wings by Soulfully Made
- Pork Satay with Peanut Sauce by Asian In America
- All-American Pie Shooter Trio by The Crumby Cupcake
- Flourless Fudge Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone by Caroline’s Cooking
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mini No Bake Coconut Cheescakes by Jonesin’ For Taste
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.