Chicken Romano with Lemon Butter sauce is a delicious gluten free, low carb and Paleo dinner. Easy to make and high in protein.Chicken Romano with lemon butter is a dish I remember my oldest sister making for our family when she was just out of college. It was fantastic! I don’t know where she learned it from but since she’s such an excellent cook, she could have just whipped it up herself. I am 8 years younger than her, so I remember being blown away by the fact she could cook something so good. Back then I used to idolized everything she did because I thought she was the coolest girl there was and I still do today. Now for this wonderful recipe.
As I’ve mentioned many, many times that I’m always trying to keep things Paleo or low carb. This recipe usually calls for dredging your chicken in flour first, then egg, then cheese. I just used almond flour instead and combined the egg and cheese mixtures for simplicity. For those of you that have no problem with flour, just substitute regular flour for the almond flour, however I thought the almond flour worked fine. As a matter of fact I served this to my family including my in laws and no one knew it was almond flour. So after you dredge your chicken in the flour of your choice, you then dip it in a mixture of eggs, grated Romano cheese and a little water to thin it out. Place the chicken in a hot skillet that has some olive oil and bit of butter and fry until golden brown. A note about the chicken: As a time saver I always buy a package of thinly sliced chicken breasts from the grocery store. They don’t have it at every grocery store, but it keeps me from having to cut the chicken myself and pounding it out. You want to have a thin cutlet so they are cooked after you fry them. If you have bigger pieces which you can see I do, you can just pop these in the oven for 10 minutes after browning and they should be cooked through. Had I had more time I would have pounded out the thicker pieces but like most of you I didn’t.
Chicken Romano with Lemon Butter
While the chicken is in the oven, make your lemon butter sauce by melting butter and mixing in the juice of one lemon. Bring to a simmer and then when the chicken is done, top it off with the lemon butter sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley and add a wedge of lemon if you like. This is very low carb but more importantly it’s delicious. I always forget about this dish until I see those thin cut chicken breasts in the grocery store and I remember how good it is. I hope you try it and that your family likes it as much as mine. Enjoy!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1½ lbs chicken, thin sliced
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup Romano cheese, grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ fresh parsley chopped finely (optional)
- 1 lemon cut into wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- If your chicken breasts are not already cut thin, cut to make thin cutlets and pounded thin.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over your chicken.
- Put your almond flour in a large shallow bowl or dish. Dredge your chicken breasts in and coat each side.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high.Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and 1 Tablespoon of butter and heat until sizzling.
- In a separate large shallow bowl or dish, beat the eggs, water and Romano cheese together.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the egg mixture.
- Add the breasts to the pan and cook until browned on both sides. Move to an oven safe dish.
- Continue in batches until all the chicken is done.
- If breasts are thick you can bake for 10 minutes to make sure they are done all the way through. If they are thin you may not need to do this.
- In another sauté pan, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter and the juice of one lemon. Simmer for a minute or two and then pour over the finished chicken.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with extra lemon wedges.