What are you eating for Fat Tuesday? Try this Fat Tuesday Burger with cheese, bacon, avocado, blue cheese dressing and more! I also have a cool keto version too!
You might like this keto butter burger with onion straws too!
I was trying to think of something really decadent for Fat Tuesday this year and when on a low carb diet, that’s not too hard to do. So I thought about making a Fat Tuesday Burger full of a rich and delicious toppings.
Of course I ate the keto burger version which had no bun but it did have the cheese, bacon, avocado and blue cheese dressing and it was crazy good. Check out the keto version, it was cool!
How I make a great burger
- First use good ground beef. You don’t want to use lean beef because the fat gives it flavor.
- Season it with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Pan fry in a cast iron skillet to get a good sear. Let it sit and don’t flip for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Don’t over cook it. Use a thermometer for the right temperature. (Medium rare 140F but USDA says 160F)
- For the bun, butter the cut sides of a brioche bun and toast them it will be absolutely delicious too. Below I used a regular bun because they ran out of brioche buns at Aldi.
Check out Bobby Flays best burger secrets here.
Fat Tuesday Burger Ingredients
As I mentioned above I used all my favorite ingredients on this burger. It was like eating a bacon cheeseburger with a wedge salad on top! I used center cut bacon, cheddar cheese, avocado slices, tomato slices, red onion slices, lettuce and homemade blue cheese dressing.
How to make a keto Fat Tuesday burger
Now here’s my secret to the the keto version. I made burger bagels. I used this donut pan and made my burgers in it. That way 2 of them acted as the bun and the toppings were the filling!
Again start with good meat and season with salt and pepper. Smooth your meat in the donut pan and bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree F oven. Let them cool a little before filling.
Above you can see what the burgers look like in the donut pan. Let me tell you these pans come in handy with low carb cooking. I have a few low carb bagel recipes on here and you can also make low carb donuts (which I have not tried – yet!). You can get them on Amazon but I think I bought mine at Target.
A couple notes about this recipe. I made my keto burger in a hurry and it looks a bit messy. But let me tell you it was yummy. The patties are a little small but remember you are eating 2 of them. Also on my regular burger I just had a regular bun not a buttered brioche which I recommend (see burger tips above).
I hope you have a fun time on Fat Tuesday. You know what we are having, what about you? The nutrition is for 1 keto burger using two of the patties for the bun as pictured above.
793 cals / 59.3g fat / 8.2g carbs / 3.9g fiber / 55.2g protein = 4.3g net carbs
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 80/20)
- 3 slices tomato
- 3 slices red onion
- 6 pieces bacon
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 small avocado sliced
- 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing (see below for a link)
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- If making keto burgers- Take the ground beef and split it in to 6ths. Carefully put the beef in the donut tray and smooth out so it fills the container.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Take 3 of the patties out and place a piece of cheese on each. If you want them melted you can stick them on a cookie sheet and bake for a few minutes.
- When done, the six patties will make 3 burgers.
- If making regular burgers - Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place the burger in the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes. Then flip and add a piece of cheese and cook for 5 more minutes. Let sit for a few minutes when done.
TO MAKE THE KETO FAT TUESDAY BURGERS
- Take the patty with the melted cheese and place two pieces of bacon on top. Then layer the avocado, red onion, tomato, lettuce and blue cheese dressing. Top with a plain patty.
TO MAKE THE REGULAR FAT TUESDAY BURGERS
- Place the burger on a bun and then add two slices of bacon. Then layer with avocado, red onion, tomato, lettuce and blue cheese dressing. Add the top of the bun.
- NOTE: The donut burger patties are smaller then the regular burgers so you may need to use smaller pieces of the toppings.
- The homemade blue cheese dressing can be found here.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 3 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 793