I thought this was a crazy idea when I heard about it….cheese from a nut? Or a legume? But when I tried it with my new Vitamix (which I adore) I was pleasantly surprised and now it’s constantly in my fridge. The cashews are a bit sweet and lemon juice a bit tart which balances the whole thing.
The great thing about this is that you can make it savory or sweet. With a couple drops of Vanilla Creme Stevia and a little cream it become a frosting or sweet dip. And with some herbs and spices (like garlic, sundried tomato and italian seasonings) it’s a savory dip or spread.
This photo shows it a bit looser in consistency. If you prefer it thicker, just use less water.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- .33 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- pinch sea salt
- Soak the cashews by covering with water and set on counter for 4-6 hours.
- Rinse thoroughly and place in Vitamix or blender.
- Add water, lemon juice and salt and blend til smooth.
- Will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Estimated Nutrition: 95 cals / 7.5g fat / 1.1g net carbs / 2.5g protein