This skillet chicken with balsamic onions & mushrooms is a flavorful dish with creamy sweet onions and earthy mushrooms sauteed with chicken thighs. This is a low carb meal that everyone will love with only 6.0g net carbs!
A week or so ago, I made a bacon cheese burger with balsamic onions. I was hooked on the onions because they were sweet and tart and really added to the burger. So today I decided to make this skillet chicken with balsamic onions & mushrooms using the same ideas. The mushrooms also taste delicious with balsamic vinegar and butter. I will have to make that as a side dish some day soon. So this is an easy skillet dinner, with simple ingredients but it’s packed with flavor.
I have a quite a few skillet dinners with chicken thighs. I usually have some thighs in the freezer and it’s easy to make a quick dinner with them. Two dishes I especially like are my creamy chicken with spinach and this Asian chicken with vegetables. If you like chicken skillet dinners, check out those recipes – I think you will really like them.
The most time consuming part of this recipe is the browning the onions. You start by melting some butter and sautéing the onions until they become translucent. Then add the mushrooms and saute until both are nice and brown. Add in the balsamic vinegar and a tablespoon of cream. Add back the chicken thighs and pour the chicken broth over everything. Cover and cook for a few more minutes. I love using a deep non-stick skillet like this for dishes like this.
You can eat this as is or with rice or pasta. The flavors are great. The onions are sweet, the balsamic tangy and the butter and cream add a creamy smoothness.
chicken with balsamic onions & Mushrooms
I hope you like this as much as we did. This is one my favorite dishes I’ve made in a long time. I will definitely be making it again. The nutrition for 1 servings is:
204 cals / 13.9g fat / 7.1g carbs / 1.1g fiber / 14.6g protein = 6.og net carbs
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a large pan and brown the chicken thighs for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Take out of pan and set aside.
- Add the butter and onions and cook until they are soft and translucent and starting to brown. About 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes until they are browned well.
- Mix in the balsamic vinegar, chicken broth and cream and mix well.
- Nestle the chicken thighs on top, cover and cook for 10 more minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve as is, over rice or over noodles.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
More skillet dinners to try!