You are going to love these meatloaf stuffed portobello mushrooms. These mushrooms are a delicious low carb dinner that you can eat or freeze for later and they are only 4.5g net carbs each!
Every once in awhile I go on a portobello kick. I have quite a few recipes on the site stuffed mushrooms but sometimes we just like them plain on the grill. They are so meaty and moist on their own but when you stuff them with something tasty like this meatloaf, you got yourself a winner. Today I made these low carb meatloaf stuffed portobello mushrooms because I wanted to have a quick lunch or dinner in the freezer for days when I don’t want to eat what everyone else is eating but I still want something good!
While I have a lot of portobello mushroom recipes on this site, I also have a few meatloaf recipes . So you can see I am a fan of both foods and luckily for me they go together perfectly. For this recipe I topped them with my low carb barbecue sauce from my barbecue burgers that I keep in the refrigerator.
So to make these lovely mushrooms, you first clean out the gills of the mushrooms and then stuff them with the meatloaf mixture. Then I spread about a tablespoon of the sauce on each and baked for 30 minutes. They came out fantastic! By the way, while I used my own sauce. I’m sure there are some great low carb barbecue sauces or ketchups out there. This barbecue sauce and this Heinz ketchup look good to me, but if you know of a good one, drop a line in the comments. I’d love to share that with my readers.
If you don’t care about carbs, you can use regular barbecue sauce or ketchup if you like. The rest of the recipe would be the same.
meatloaf stuffed portobello mushrooms
I hope you enjoy these compact dinner mushrooms. One is plenty for me and I like to eat, so I would figure 1 mushroom per person. The nutrition for 1 meatloaf stuffed mushroom is:
325 cals / 17g fat/ 35.8g protein / 4.5g net carbs
1 tablespoon bbq sauce = 24 cals / 1.8g fat / 0.2g protein = 1.4g net carbs
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- ½ teaspoon worchestershire sauce
- ½ onion, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons low carb barbecue sauce or ketchup
- 4 large portobello mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take off the stems and clean the gills out of the mushroom caps.
- Spray cooking oil on both sides of the mushrooms.
- In a large bowl add the rest of the ingredients except the barbecue sauce.
- Mix well and divide into 4.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the meatloaf mixture.
- Add 1 tablespoon of low carb barbecue sauce or low carb ketchup on each mushroom and spread around.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
More meaty main dishes to try!